Bond.

He could feel the moist soil between his toes. The night was pleasant. The breeze lightly blew the leaves from the golden trees, some fell on the water with a light touch on the surface, making gracefull and small waves. Crystalflies floating over there, usually an indicator of peace. The sound of tiny raindrops falling echoed through the woods.

He could hear the soft and calming sounds of the waterfall in the distance, a comfortable sound to his ears and peace for his troubled mind. He took slow steps deeper and deeper into the water until it covered his body.

A man, rather short. His skin a light tone of brown, a little tan, due to the fact that he was always under the sunlight. The well-built body, painted with healed scars from previous battles. One of his arms had a huge tattoo that resembled the form of a green bird, covering from the tips of his fingers to his neck. Thick lips, somewhat pointy ears, the curly hair in a beautiful shade of teal... A scar on his cheek, a small purple mark on his forehead and almond eyes in a beautiful shade of gold like the purest Mora, piercing like the gaze of a hungry predator. Some mortals used to say he was a wanderer. Others, some ghost. But the great truth is that he, Xiao, was something much greater. An adeptus, a being of a mystical and powerful nature, one of the five Yaksha Guardians, chosen by Rex Lapis himself to watch over the lands of Liyue. Few were left of that slaughter centuries ago. Xiao, with his mind troubled by the karmic debt of so many deaths of vengeful gods at his hands, was the only remaining Yaksha. Some would say it was luck, but for him it meant boundless pain. He had lost the few friends he had, the only ones able to understand him, to that cruel fate.

He got all the way to the bottom, to where his feet barely reached the ground anymore. He sank into the water, letting his thoughts be taken with the gentle current. He reached the surface again for air, feeling the water running from his hair down his face and torso.

He sighed.

So many voices, supplications, screams, cries. All echoing through his mind over and over again. There was not even a moment of peace for Xiao.

Except when he was immersed in the waters of that lake.

He had discovered it by chance. Since then, he always used his free time to try to uncover the secret behind that lake. People who used to know the Yaksha's ways would usually say that this was quite unusual behavior coming from him. Xiao always showed minimal curiosity towards most of the things, just contenting himself with doing his duty and not caring about his own desires. Seeing him motivated for something was new. However, it was understandable.

After all, what was this power of the lake, capable of suppressing even his so extensive karmic debt?

He sighed again. Submerged himself in the water. He returned to the surface.

He gazed up, looking for an answer. The screams and cries that echoed through his mind were now nothing more than mere whispers. He tried to see the moonlight through the rain clouds.

He sighed. Again.

Xiao crossed his arms thoughtfully. He felt the gentle cold water wash away his tiredness, at least for a while.

He looked away. There was a small Crystalfly, somewhat different from the others. This one carried a golden glow like the sun and seemed to have more delicate wings. He looked up and saw hundreds of them floating gently through the air, forming an epicenter in the middle of the lake. He could see something among so many luminous butterflies.

Or rather... Someone.

It was as if he hypnotized him. Xiao watched that being's delicate dance amidst the waters.

Of course it was him.

Xiao never believed in love. He thought it was a stupid thing, just an allegory for mortals to make up for what little time they had in the world. Just a way to perpetuate their species, or whatever it was.