Prolouge

I remember, from years ago...

We were sitting in the dining room. I still remember those sand-colored walls, the red-tiled floors, and the smell of bread filling the air.

My mother was sitting at the head of the table, brushing Alicia's hair. Julieta and I were right next to them, going through my coloring book, looking for the next picture. And although we fought for a while, we eventually settled on a picture of a lion and a dove. It was a little complicated, but I knew that if it got too hard for me, Julieta would take over for me.

I looked up at my mother, and although I knew she seemed happy, and wanted to be, she wasn't. It filled her with worry and sadness. What could she have been thinking? Turns out I didn't have to wait too long to find out.

"My loves, please promise me one thing." We all nodded in agreement, even though we hadn't heard what she wanted us to promise. "Promise me that you will leave when the time comes." We sat in silence until, finally, Valeria spoke up.

"Well... when will that be, mother?"

"You will know... when the time comes, you will know." We continued as if nothing she had said ever happened, but that thought continuously resided in my head. What time will we be waiting for? And why will we have to leave? It turns out I'd find out sooner than I'd expected.