𝐓𝐖𝐎//BENJAMIN

SOMETIMES ITS BETTER NOT TO ENGAGE.

Plugging my headphone back into my ear I remind myself of all the good things that has happened in my day. That way I have something to focus on instead of the crying child across the street.

Biting my lip I try to speed up the pace I'm jogging at but I can't help but feel bad when an older man shakes the little boy off when he tries to beg for help. That's a little harsh.

You see at least I'm on the opposite side of the road. I'm minding my business all the way over here, just trying to enjoy my morning jog. That means it's none of my concern. Especially not a little kid who's trying to lead people into an alleyway. I've seen the news, traffickers are getting smart with their tactics. Of course no one would follow a grown adult into a dark alleyway but a kid? Perfect bait.

Stopping I stretch my arm over my shoulder but my attention stays on the little boy. He's stopped trying to call for help now, he's crying and keeps looking back down the alleyway. As if he wants to go back but he's scared. Something about the fear in his eyes is so authentic. If he's lying then he deserves a goddamn Oscar.

Cursing under my breath I make sure no cars are too close before rushing across the road. Making my way to the boy he seems afraid to see me. I don't know him so it's not like I have some sort of vendetta against the kid. 'Whats wrong?'

'Āyí.' He says through choked breaths. 'Down there.'

'I'm sorry I don't understand what that means?' I frown.

'She needs help.' He repeats himself.

She? He's calling for help so he wants me to follow him. Jesus fucking Christ if that isn't a massive red flag then I don't know what is. I only landed in Singapore yesterday morning so I don't need to die before I get back home.

'You promise you're not gonna get me killed? Because I'm trusting you kid,' I confide in him but he only seems startled by my question. He shakes his head.

'Okay. Show me.' I bite back my common sense. If I leave him now I'm going to feel guilty for the rest of my break. I'll think any dead body found in an alleyway was my fault and I don't need that kind of stress. Having a long period to myself without basketball training or coursework is something I'm looking forward too, not the anxiety that I may have aided to the success of a murder.

Following this little boy he seems to be in a hurry. There we go, red flag number...two? Or was it three? This whole situation is a fucking mess. I'm just hoping I'm not going to suffer because I decided to be a good person.

'No, wait wait wait. I can give you money instead. I don't have a lot but it's enough for you three to get pretty prostitutes who—' I hear a younger woman's voice and I immediately put myself on high alert.

'Shut up.' She's cut off and I'm met with the sound of more fumbling. As if there's an effort being put up.

Grabbing the kid's hand, what I do know about shit like this is most people involved are forced to be involved. If this is just a deploy to get innocent people hurt then I doubt this boy is willingly in on it and that he'll be getting a chunk of what's being earned. He's most likely stuck in a situation he doesn't want to be in either.

Rushing down the street, I make a sharp turn to see a younger girl being forced to the ground. She's shirtless besides her bra that she's trying so desperately to keep on since the back has been unbuckled.

'Go back to the road and stay there.' I turn to the little boy before he can see what I just saw. It's safer for him to stand in public, especially since it's opposite a nearby park where they're other children playing. It's where I had been exiting from before I saw him. 'Stay there and I'll bring her back to y—'