- chapter twenty three -

☆★☆

Your father has something of mine and I would quite like it back.

"Eddie!" She yelled as she paced into the Hideout, "Eddie!"

Her voice echoed around the desolate bar, she'd never seen it in the light but it looked equally as shabby. She paced around rather quickly, ducking around the bar and striding up to the stage to turn and stare over the place as a whole. Then again, she'd never given him any reason to ignore her calls. Yet Lilith was getting the growing impression that she didn't know anything at all and maybe that expanded to Eddie too.

Lilith's head was spinning, trying to make sense of what had just happened to her. Reflections stained her mind, her reflections. The expression in her eyes, wide in shock.

She also didn't understand why the room was so bare, so drastically different than what it had once been. Lilith could see her mothers room, a hazy memory. There was no reason for Brenner to tear the room apart, to take everything from it. He should've left it exactly as it was but instead it looked as though no one had ever been there. As though the room had been empty for years, as though her mother had never stared at those walls in her last months.

"Eddie!" Lilith yelled desperately as she looked around the bar.

She had to see him, had to understand what all of this could mean. If it was a trap it was a fruitless one, unless he'd known she'd come running for him. Then again, Lilith couldn't shake trust from her mind. Her heart still beat for him, she still longed for him even when the dark ideas of manipulation started to snake into her mind like dark vines.

But if he had been truthful, Lilith wasn't sure what to make of it. She wasn't an idiot, Lilith was well aware that Brenner hadn't stolen a mirror from him but the other option fell short in her mind. It just didn't make sense.

She looked around the bar desperately, looking for something that could lead her to him. Lilith thought of his words, his smile, his eyes, his laughter. He wasn't a monster, he wasn't some demon from another world and he had proven time and time again that he wouldn't hurt her. He wasn't some manipulator, some mastermind pulling at her strings like a master of puppets. He was Eddie, he was just Eddie.

Lilith was out of breath from her thoughts, swirling in ideas she couldn't understand when she caught side of the door. It lay at the back of the bar, just left of the stage. She looked around once more as though expecting him to be standing right behind her. But he wasn't, the bar still stretched empty of everything she wanted to see.

She was relieved to find the door wasn't locked, Lilith didn't fancy having to kick it down.

It led to a set of rickety looking wooden stairs. Lilith half expected that they would collapse under her weight as she slowly started climbing them. Her hand was slightly shaky on the bannister as she heard the wood creak below her.

Lilith had always been curious towards the way that Eddie lived but in that moment she wasn't sure she wanted to know. Starting to believe that everything she already knew was enough. She liked the Eddie she knew, the goofy smiles and the rambles about everything he loved. His tattoos, his taste in music, his hair and his love. She couldn't have stopped even if she wanted to, her desire to know the truth burning brighter than anything she had ever felt before.

There was a door at the top, round a small corner. Lilith saw it was open a crack, window spilling daylight where she stood.

She considered the idea that he was right behind it, waiting for her. Then again she knew, even before she entered, that this was not the case. She knew that if Eddie had been inside the Hideout, he would've come running at the sound of her voice. The panic in her yell as her mind started begging with the desperation to be set free. She felt so trapped in the limits of her own knowledge.