viii. tree climbing

ALIANOVA'S POV CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA

ALIANOVA'S POV
CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA

I HAVE COME TO UNDERSTAND THAT LUKE TAYLOR WAS ONE OF THE NICEST PEOPLE I'V EVER MET.

Really.

Was Charleston full of nice, attractive men?

I had been around him for four hours already, and I knew there wasn't a bad bone in his body. It was two pm, and according to North the diner shut down at five. That's when he would take me home.

Home? I'd only been living with Uncle for a couple days, and I'd already thought of it as my home?

I shook my head and frowned sadly as my reality came crashing down. As soon as Nat got a lead on Dreykov and Madam B, we would track them down together and end them. For good. That way they couldn't hurt anybody anymore. Then I would leave Charleston, and more than likely never come back.

I'd never see North, my first friend, again.

Maybe it was a good thing-if he ever found out the whole truth about my past, he would be disgusted by me.

"You okay, sweets?"

"I'm fine, Luke." I forced a smile and looked up at the blond male as I helped put the burgers on plates. North was behind us frying more food. It was a busy day at the diner, according to Luke, so I was grateful I was able to help them.

"Luke!" Uncle called, popping his head back inside the kitchen, "I need some help taking orders out here. Jessica had to leave early something about an emergency with one of her teachers. Can you help?"

"Uh," Luke looked up from the bowl of ground beef and peppers he was mixing with his gloved hands. "Give me a minute, Uncle." He called back, before I stopped him.

"It's okay." I said, looking up at him, "I can do it Uncle." I said, placing the last burger on the plate. Uncle's face brightened before he shoved a notepad and pen in my hands.

"Here you go. It shouldn't be too hard to manage, just write down what they want and hand it to me."

"Got it." I nodded, taking in a deep breath before walking out of the kitchen. I looked around and saw a table full of people that hadn't ordered yet and scurried over towards them.

"Hello," I smiled awkwardly, "What can I get you?"

Once they started placing their orders, I scrawled them down on the notepad and handed it to uncle, who was filling up cups with soda behind the tall counter.

Table by table, I took orders effectively until I came to a table with a familiar man.

"What can I get you?" I asked the three men at the table, looking down at my notepad.

"Sweet bird!" Dr. Roberts greeted with a wide smile, "How are you?" He asked, leaning forward as the two men across from him stared with a raised brow.