42.

Hazel Fenty

Hazel Fenty

"Oh my God, look at my baby's portraits!" My mom exclaimed, holding the pictures she bought. There was another packet that came, I had a photo shoot as well. My mom said it was and that I should cherish times like these. She was right though, I agreed These were once in a lifetime memories that I should make and I could only do this once.

"Thank you, mommy." I cheesed. I was excited and extremely proud of myself. This year was tough for me and I went through a lot of mental battles on my own when Harlow was absent.

"I'm so proud of you. Give me a hug." I embraced my mother as we shared a sentimental moment. I honestly wish my dad was here to share it but his family wasn't as important as we thought. Mom was stressed with the twins and they needed their dad.

We broke the long hug and now it was time to get in preparation for graduation. Graduation was this Saturday and we had six days to prepare. I told mom I didn't want any parties. I was all partied out. I'd rather double date or go on another vacation. A small celebration but without so many family members. I barely talked to these people and just having them all in our house was a bit much. Mom had posted pictures of the twins on facebook but she didn't want them around a lot of people. RSV was more aggressive then ever and we didn't want to risk the sickness. Being that Haven had a heart condition, family visiting was definitely out of the question.

"We need to celebrate-"

"Mom," I started. I was hesitant but this needed to be discussed. The twins were out and even though mom's stress levels were a little elevated, I didn't want elevate them anymore. "I need to tell you something." I admitted.

The happy smile she had on her face had disappeared. It became serious and showing concern. "You pregnant?" She asked, placing my pictures down.

"No mom." I chuckled. "It's more serious then a pregnancy though." I responded, slowly. "Let's sit." She nodded, and we accompanied each other on the couch. I was nervous but I couldn't let it show.

"Dad- mmm, dad. Shit, um.." I couldn't gather my words. I was so scared, I was getting light head." I played with my fingers, while looking down. I shook my head. I couldn't look her in the eyes.

"Hazelnut, what's wrong with your dad? Is he okay? Hazel, what's wrong?" I was scaring her and it started to make me cry.

"Momma I think dad in some type of trouble. When you were- um... in coma last year, I was at home one night and Bashar stopped by. We were playing in one of the upstairs rooms and I fell into the wall, and behind the wall was drugs-"

"Drugs?" My mom gasped, leaning forward.

"Yes, and he paid me not to say anything. I h-"

"How much?" I could tell she was livid, but she was calm. That was the worst feeling.

"Five grand." I answered.

"Five thousand dollar?! But hasn't bought me anything since I almost di- I'm going to kill your dad." She said. I couldn't tell if she was just saying that because she was mad or if she was dead ass.

"Momma that's not all." I said. She looked over at me, her mouth slightly agape. I could tell she was in shock and she was devastated. Her heart strings were holding on for dear life.

"What else is there?" She said in a whisper, teary eyed.

"I'm sorry, ma." I grabbed her hands, she squeeze mine.

"It's not your fault." Mom sniffed. "Keep going." She sighed, slowly nodding.

"I think dad is cheating." I admitted. Mom closed her eyes, as her head dropped. "Back when we went to Williamsburg, I heard talking, so I thought maybe someone was watching tv but it was dad outside on the phone. I could hear another female voice on the other end. He was talking about how he was with his family and some other stuff I can't remember." My mom fell into me, crying. I hugged her tightly while she broke down.

This was so heartbreaking and I couldn't hold it together myself. My mom was such a good woman and to be cheated and lied to was backstabbing. When she explained to me how her dad met, it made think. That's how it would end. She was sleeping with a married man and it ended up with the married man but their relationship was rocking like a rocking chair and soon the chair was going to break. Whoever this mystery woman was, she was winning and my dad was showing it.

After my mom was calm enough, she went upstairs to take a nap. I checked on the twins and they were sleeping. Luckily, their diapers were changed and they had been fed just before mom went down.

I decided it would be best for me to take a nap too. I needed to clear my head bud let my brain do the processing since I'd be asleep. I cleaned up the table and headed upstairs to my room. I showered, moisturized, and slipped under the covers. I left cartoons to play in the background, and played instrumental gospel through my speaker. I need God more than ever.