03.

If there was anyone at St Helena's College that could be described as perfect, it would be Veronica Brown.

Natalie watched her pass, her auburn hair turning almost strawberry blonde as she stepped into the sunlight. Veronica had the kind of freckles that other girls drew on, the kind of blue eyes that contact lenses were created to mimic. Her uniform sat on her perfectly, cinching at her waist and flaring at her hips.

Natalie tugged at her own skirt; two sizes too big. Her mum had said she'd grow into it. Six years later, she was still waiting for that growth spurt.

The first time Natalie realised she was different; she was seven years old. Her dad wasn't the principal of her school yet, but vice-principal garnered just as much attention.

Her friends didn't know they were related yet—there were about four other kids with the surname Chen, none of whom were related—and all it took was one recess.

One offhand comment.

Something about his eyes, about the way they pulled at the corners. And then they were pulling theirs at the corners.

And then they were looking at Natalie.

Looking at Veronica reminded her of that day. Not only because she was there that day, innocently tugging on her eyelids, but also because she was as close as humanly possible to perfect. Everything Natalie wasn't.

Sighing, she hiked her backpack higher on her shoulders and trailed in the direction Veronica had walked, towards the gates.

A crowd had gathered, blocking the exit, and Natalie frowned, slowing her steps. What was happening there?

"Natalie! Wait for me!"

Natalie spun, her ponytail whipping the air as she faced her friend. Nyra paused in front of her, hunching over to plant her hands on her knees and pant heavily, catching her breath.

"I am so unfit," she huffed out and Natalie laughed.

Standing upright, she watched as her friend's thick black hair was shoved back, out of her face, revealing her brown skin and wide eyes.

"How was your meeting, Miss Vice-Captain?" Nyra asked, tightening her ponytail, and tugging on her skirt.

Natalie rolled her eyes, grinning. She'd gotten the badge months ago, but Nyra would never get over it. "Not bad. We were kind of just figuring out the assembly schedule for the rest of term. How was... piano?"

"Flute, today," Nyra replied, shrugging the shoulder her flute case was strapped over.

"Sorry," she said sheepishly, and Nyra laughed.

"No biggie. We can't all be musical geniuses, or whatever, right?"

"So humble, too."

"Hey, you can brag all about your straight A's and straight shot for medical school, and I can brag about being a musical prodigy. It's fair that way."

Natalie scoffed, shooting her a look. "I don't brag!"

"Sure, you don't." Nyra's voice fell flat, and she released a huff, turning towards the gate of the school. "What are they all crowding around for? School ended an hour ago."

Before Natalie could even open her mouth, someone else replied for her.

"It's this amazing thing called boys, Nyra. Heard of it?"

The pair looked up to find Veronica smiling at them. If Natalie didn't know any better, she would've called that smile kind, maybe even polite. But she'd known Veronica since kindergarten, and kind never came without an underlying motive for her.