Chapter 19

She was seated on a bench outside the library waiting for her project partner who was late after giving her a lecture about being late. She was scrolling through Instagram, "She's got a nice ass, right?", he said above her, "I wasn't checking her ass I was interested in the bikini", she replied taking her bag and walking towards the entrance of the library.

"Hey kid, the library is closed a fire alarm went on during lunch", the security guard said to her when she was about to tap her student card. She turned and looked at him, "Just great!", she said rolling her eyes. "There're a lot of libraries and computer labs on campus, surely we can find another one." He said following behind her, leaving the library, "Except they're all cold my mind will freeze", she was telling the truth, "We worked well at my place last time", he took the risk. "Hell no! Let's try a McDonald's". Her place was closer, but she vowed to never have any strangers there and she could not work at her place. "Quit playing, that won't work we won't focus while something passes by with a burger and the last time, I checked it's one of your favourites", that slipped his tongue and Peace looked at him surprised, "What?" "What?", she immediately knew this conversation was over.

After a long argument, they agreed on going to his place.

'I'm calm today, I got this'

~~~~

"So, why didn't you live with everyone else in the main house and chose a cottage?", Peace asked checking out the play and still in awe of its beauty. "I have a room in that house, but I prefer the cottage, it's more private." She walked to the lounge while Akwande climbed the stair to his bedroom. He came back in new clothes, black pants and a grey t-shirt.

'Did he just match my outfit?'

He went to the kitchen, grabbed a cider and a beer then went to sit with her. "Here," He said handing her an opened cider, "I noticed you work well with it, so I'll let you have it because it's schoolwork and I don't care but when we have our serious talk, you'll be sober." She took the cider and sipped it before placing it on the coffee table next to her laptop, "What?" "What?", he acted as if he said nothing. Peace was getting annoyed at how he started something and leave it hanging, it was confusing for her.

They have been working for an hour and a half when Akwande decided it was break time, "I'm a little confused are you coloured or mixed? Because something is going on here", she said pointing around him. This was the third cider speaking, "I'm mixed, black Zulu dad and a white mom, what about you?", he explained not taking any offence, "Zulu Dad, Xhosa mom and I am the firstborn and very protective." One thing about tipsy Peace she will talk nonstop and say things she was not asked about. 

"You've got siblings?", she asked him when she realized she's been saying a lot and he just sat there looking at her, "Yes, a sister and a brother and unfortunately I'm the lastborn". "Unfortunate indeed", she said taking another sip. She could feel Akwande's eyes on her and she made sure not to look back and create the most awkward moment, "I can always show you around the garden you know? Maybe catch a sunset, it's beautiful out there." She jerked her head to look at him, she forgot about awkwardness for a moment, was he serious?

'How did he find out I love sunsets?'

When she was about to answer his phone rang and he looked at her, back at his phone. He stood up to answer the call somewhere else, Peace could tell there was an argument but went to the window to admire the garden.

After a few minutes, "Sorry about that, let's wrap up", his mood completely changed.

'Definitely relationship problems.'

They were focused because the guy was suddenly nonchalant and was so over the project. When they were about to finish, police busted inside, oh my bad it was a girl. "This the fuck you cancel on me for?!"

'Mad girlfriend it is. Better mind my own business.'

"Maddy what are you doing here?!", he asked, bored already, "Really, Xavier? You never cancel our dates, WTF?!"

'Maddy was really mad.'

Peace collected all her stuff, "I should get going my Uber is almost here." She tried to squeeze her words between the shouting the couple was doing. "Bitch, who cares get lost.", she said with her hand so close to Peace's face. When she was about to give her piece of mind, "You don't get to talk to her like that."

'Okay, seems like the boyfriend can handle his problem.'

She did not say another word but turned to the door with her hands raised indicating that she was eliminating herself. "Let me walk you out", Akwande said following her out, "Are fucking serious right now?!", he shut the door behind his fuming girlfriend.

"I'm so sorry you didn't deserve that and she's not always like that", he apologized as they walked towards the gate. "It's okay don't sweat it", she said brushing his shoulder in reassurance.

"No, it's not, and I don't want nobody treating you like that."