74

Grace brushed a piece of fluff off of the shoulder of Ivory's shirt. "You look great."

"I don't want to go to another job interview." Ivory grumbled. It was her fourth one that week and her last chance to get the job that she wanted.

"You don't have to doll I already said-"

"I'm not letting you be the only one working. Anyway what else am I going to do all day, sit around the apartment and rot?" Ivory asked irritably. She was sick of earth already, sick of the city, sick of not having any real purpose.

Grace bit her lip. "Ivy we're in a shitty situation as it is, don't make yourself feel worse."

"I'm fine Grace. I'll be back in two hours." Ivory grabbed her rucksack from by the door and swung it onto her shoulders then left the apartment without looking back.

Ivory shifted uncomfortably in the wooden chair, watching anxiously as a woman flipped through her art portfolio

"Well." The woman snapped the folder shut and pulled her glasses off, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "I don't deny that you have some artistic skill but your work is not the kind that we are currently looking to show."

Ivory nodded, pulling her folder back across the table and slotting it into her rucksack. She yanked the zip closed, her jaw set. "Thank you for your time," she picked up her bag and left the office, exhaling slowly. Ivory clattered down the stairs and out of the building.

"Watch it!" A man snapped as Ivory almost crashed into him.

"Sorry," she muttered distractedly, tearing her eyes away from the pavement reluctantly. She was so goddamn tired of feeling incompetent and now it seemed she couldn't even walk down the street without messing something up.   The woman rubbed a hand across her face and sighed, she'd spent most of the night tossing and turning and it was rapidly catching up with her. "Fuck it." Ivory scooted around the man that she had almost knocked over and darted into one of the few mercifully quiet coffee shops that lined the streets.

"What can I get you?" The man behind the counter asked, his voice flat.

Ivory squinted at the menu. "Iced coffee please."

"Three dollars."

Ivory pulled her wallet out of her pocket and handed the money over.

"Wait down there." The man waved his hand in the general direction of the end of the counter.

Ivory paused as she caught sight of a piece of paper taped to the side of the till. She tugged it off, scanning it quickly. "This job still open?"

"Yes."

"How do-?"

"If you want it the job's yours." The man dumped the coffee and a straw in front of Ivory. "If you stop bothering me," he added. "See you on Monday morning at eight am."

Ivory shrugged her shoulders and slid her straw into her coffee, moving to sit down at the nearest empty table. She flopped into a chair and put her coffee down. She reached down and opened her bag, digging through its contents until she found her phone. Ivory unlocked her mobile, checking her texts. Grace had sent her a photo of Tigger curled up asleep on the bed. A small smile appeared on the woman's face.

Grace set her mug down on the table as Ivory walked into the kitchen

Grace set her mug down on the table as Ivory walked into the kitchen. "How did it go?"

Ivory shook her head.

Grace's face fell. She gently dislodged Tigger from her lap then scraped her chair back and stood up, pulling her girlfriend into a tight hug.

Ivory buried her face into Grace's shoulder, and looped her arms around the other woman's waist.

"It's alright," Grace murmured, running a hand through Ivory's hair.

Ivory was silent for a moment, keeping her cheek pressed against Grace.

"You're alright."

"I did get a job, just not the one I wanted." Ivory's voice was muffled by the redheads shoulder.

Ivory lay on her back staring up at the dark ceiling

Ivory lay on her back staring up at the dark ceiling. Grace was curled into her side asleep, breathing steadily. The dark haired woman shifted carefully as she disentangled herself from her girlfriend. Ivory slid out of bed and grabbed her cigarettes and lighter from the bedside table, creeping out of the room as quietly as she possibly could.

Ivory padded softly across the living room and pushed the window open slowly, swinging out over the ledge and onto the balcony. She lit a cigarette and stood in silence watching the cars passing by on the street below.

A/N: Sorry it took me so long to update everything decided to happen at once last week and it got very busy very quickly. I'm now back to ignoring my responsibilities and rewatching Twilight like a proper adult. Does this chapter even make any sense? Idk. Bon appetite.