Suspicion

Once again, Cole looked over to Kate, and once again, Kate was looking around the room for any signs of nervousness from anyone. She made eye contact with every person in the room, and Kate and Cole stared at each other for a moment, and then Kate looked at the paper on the coffee table in front of her. She then began writing names down.

AspenKateSydneyMelodyDrakeChaseBryceColeEmily

"These are our suspects," Kate said, announcing the obvious.

"Emily, you haven't been saying much. Are you having a guilty conscious?" Cole asked.

"Seriously dude, what is it with you and accusing other people?" Bryce asked once again.

Cole scratched the back of his neck and shrugged.

"I just can't believe something like this happened to him," she responded. "He had just apologized to all of us, too."

Kate nodded.

"How come you got invited, Kate? He didn't have anything to apologize to you for, did he?" Emily asked.

"I mentioned it earlier. When everyone was talking about motives. Remember?" Kate responded, doing her best to sound confident.

"You did?" Aspen asked, looking at Kate with her head tilted.

"It was a few hours ago, I'm surprised none of you remember. It's because," she paused for a moment. "it's because he wouldn't let Zylah hang out with me one day. But that's not much of a motive for murder, so we can just scratch me off the list." She proceeded to cross out her name.

"It was me. I did it," a voice said. Everyone turned around in shock and looked at Keira. "The dog told me to do it, so I did it," her voice cracked while talking. Keira slightly looked down and tears streamed down her face.

"Keira, you didn't kill him," Aspen said, giving the woman a hug.

"How do you know I didn't?" She asked, sniffling.

"You're left-handed, and the injury is on the right side of his body. And I'm sure he would've been able to overpower you easily," she replied.

Keira seemed to accept her answer and look toward the group.

"Where is the murder weapon, anyway?" Emily asked.

"We could go look for it," Drake suggested.

"I think I'm gonna stay here. I've had too much walking around for one day," Brenton said.

"I'll stay with you. You know, keep you company," Cole offered.

Brenton thanked him for his offer, and the two boys stayed behind while the others looked around the house, searching for a murder weapon. 

"I found something!" Emily yelled. The others came hurrying into the room next to where they found Sherman's body. A large knife was found on the ground, blood covering the blade. 

Chase carefully picked up the knife with the handkerchief from his pocket. He took a close look at it. "It looks like a 'G' 'D' 'O' or 'C' is engraved into part of the blade, but I'm not sure," he announced.