|I{•------» [39] «------•}I|

"You're not concentrating," Ruka said, frustration evident in her voice.

"I am!" Konohamaru replied, his eyelids clenched tightly shut.

"Try harder then," she urged.

"If I clench my eyelids any tighter, I'm going to get a headache!" he exclaimed.

Ruka sighed tiredly, realizing her brother's misunderstanding. She tore her gaze away from him and shifted her attention to the large sphere of the moon looming above them. "What has Ebisu been training you?"

Konohamaru huffed in annoyance as he plopped down on the ground, his back turned towards her. "Maybe if you trained me more, I wouldn't be so slow and stupid!"

Ruka turned her gaze back to her brother, her eyes filled with concern. "Is that what this is all about? Me not training you? I thought you were happy with Naruto."

"I am," Konohamaru replied, his voice slightly softer. "But it wouldn't hurt for you to spend some time with me." He whispered, his eyes avoiding hers. "Ever since you became a Genin, all you've been doing is training and going on missions."

"It's like our mother and father all over again, barely spending time with us."

Her eyes softened, memories of their biological parents resurfacing. Ruka had been old enough to notice how little time her parents spent with them. While it didn't bother Konohamaru as much back then since he was still young, it deeply affected her.

"Kono," she called his name softly, and his eyes met hers. "I didn't know you felt that way, and I'm so sorry."

"It's fine," Konohamaru started to say, but Ruka quickly interrupted him, shaking her head. "No, it's not fine. It's hypocritical of me to do the same thing our parents did to us."

She stood up, turning her back to him and silently inviting him to jump on for a piggyback ride, just like she used to do when they were younger.

"No!" Konohamaru crossed his arms defiantly. "I'm a grown boy now. I don't need a piggyback."

"Come on," she pestered, her voice gentle. "You should enjoy being a kid because one day, when you're all grown up, you can never experience those moments again."

His eyes widened as realization dawned on him. His sister had grown up without experiencing the childhood she wanted, but he still had the chance.

He sighed, giving in. "Okay."

---

Konohamaru lay his head on Ruka's back, listening to the comforting rhythm of her heartbeat. It reminded him of how she used to comfort him whenever he fell and cried. Ruka may not be their mother, but she had taken on the responsibility of teaching and raising him ever since their parents became busy with their missions.

As he closed his eyes, he found himself drifting off to sleep, feeling safe and secure in his sister's presence. Just as he was about to doze off, Ruka called out his name softly.

"Kono."

He stirred slightly, half-asleep, and mumbled a response.

"I'm sorry that I haven't been able to spend much time with you," she confessed. "The truth is, I'm not sure if I'll always have the time. But on special days like birthdays and New Year's, I promise to be there for you."

"It's fine," he muttered sleepily. "As long as you're here, big sis."

Ruka turned to look at her brother, a soft smile playing on her lips. "And here I thought you preferred Naruto over me."

"I will always be here for you, Kono," she whispered, her voice filled with love and determination.