𝙷𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚘𝚞𝚝

"Janie, wake up. I made eggs and toast." I said gently shaking her. She flickered eyes open and squinted. "I'm not hungry." She said tiredly. "You need to eat something. Your dad told me you haven't ate in the last two days." I said. She sighed through her nose, "Fine." She said. I smiled. "Good. Now come on, I'll eat with you." I said. She got out of bed and followed me into the kitchen. I was hoping my parents would somehow just reappear back. Fortunately they were still gone though.

"Here sit down. I'll make you a plate." I said. I got two plate and put two pieces of toast and some eggs on both. "Here, I don't expect you to eat it all. But at least eat some or a majority." I said putting the plate in front of her. She nodded. She took a bite of the toast and some eggs. I knew something was wrong. I mean, it was obvious she was scared, we all were. "What's wrong? You're not talking and you're barley eating." I asked.

She shrugged. "I don't know." She answered blankly. "Jane. You can talk to me. What's wrong?" I asked again. "Max I really don't know. I just feel.. empty and scared. Every time I walk around in an empty house, it feels like the school hallways all over again." She explained. I didn't know what to say. I truly felt bad, I'm just more worried. I was about to say something when the house phone started ringing. I quickly ran to answer it.

Max: Hello?

Susan (Max's mom): Maxine! Honey are you alright?! I heard what happened.

Max: Mom! Yes I'm okay. Where have you been?

Susan: I'm so sorry baby. I was called for an emergency business trip and my flight got super delayed. Which means I've been in a airport for about 2 days now and there's no internet there so I could call or answer you. I just landed.

Max: Wow. Um okay. What about Neil?

Susan: He's over here with me.

Max: WHAT!? YOU SAID HE WAS GOING TO BE HOME WEDNESDAY! ITS FRIDAY NOW MOM!

Susan: Don't raise your voice at me! He came over here to keep me company since we are going to be here for a week or two before we both knew what had happened. We assumed Billy would be there with you.

Max: NO HE'S NOT! HE NEVER IS. HE'S ALWAYS PARTYING WITH SOME RANDOM GIRL WHILE IM ALWAYS HERE ALONE. IVE BEEN SO SCARED MOM. AND NOW YOUR TELLING ME IM GOING TO BE BY MYSELF FOR ANOTHER WEEK OR TWO?!

Susan: STOP YELLING AT ME YOUNG LADY! IT IS NOT OUR FAULT. WE DIDNT KNOW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.

Max: Yeah.. because it's never your fault.

I angrily slammed the phone back on the wall and began to cry. I knew Jane was watching me, but I didn't care in that moment. I was just so worked up that I didn't know what to do. "Aw Maxie, don't cry." Jane said getting up from her chair and walking over to me. She hugged me as I cried on her shoulder. "I- I don't want to stay by myself again.. I'm scared. And now my mom and Neil are going to be gone for a week or two and Billy is never here because he doesn't give two shits about me." I sobbed.

I probably sounded like an absolute baby at that moment. Really Max? You're 15 and you're scared to be home alone for a week or two. Grow up. I was scared that was how Jane would react. But it was the complete opposite. "Max don't cry please. I don't like seeing you cry. It's going to be okay. Maybe I can ask my mom or dad if you can stay with us for a bit! It's like an everyday sleepover!" She excitedly said. She's adorable.

"I appreciate the offer, but I don't really know if your parents would agree to tha-" "Of course they will! They love you as much as if you were they're own kid." She cut me off. "I don't know Jane.." I said hesitating. "Max. They're going to say yes and I know it. Me nor them would want you staying here by yourself." She insisted."Fine." I gave in. "Yay! I'll text them right now." She said pulling out her phone. I smiled. I wouldn't think that she enjoyed hanging out with me that much. I wiped my tears and waited patiently.