Chapter I: Shiloh and Spider

Hello again! This is the first chapter (and I haven't written in a long time) so I am sorry if it isn't as good. It should get better as I go along :) Enjoy!

Song inspiration: Dog Days are Over - Florence + The Machine

For the purpose of the story, the ages are changed slightly. Shiloh is 17 as is Neteyam and Spider.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Wait for me!"

"Spider slow down! I can't run that fast!"

The boy looked back at me, with a smirk full of pride, "It's not my fault you're slower then an eighty year old woman!"

I darted between lab tables and rolling chairs in an attempt to catch up with him. Spider plowed through dozens of scientists, making them stumble into me as I followed right behind. I yelled incoherent apologies back at them but kept my eyes focused on the boy in front.
We did this every morning, when he was leaving the base. Spider was my only source of lasting entertainment and seeing him go was the worst part of my day. So we made the little tradition of racing to the door as fast as our young legs could take us. I've only ever beaten him once, and that was only because he tripped over someone's foot giving me the advantage. I still of course remind him of this moment whenever his head gets too big.

"Looks like I won again." He said, gasping for air and leaning against the glass door, "Don't worry Shiloh, one day I'm sure you'll actually be competition for me. Today just wasn't that day."

I rolled my eyes at him, "It's not my fault you hang around eight foot giants for hours."

Spider laughed at me, then reached for his mask he had tied around his waist, "I'll tell you everything when I get back." He said, putting on the exopack. Just like every other morning.

This I expected. It gave me a small surge of jealousy again, like it always did, seeing Spider go out that is. I was envious of the fact he was able to live his life outside these walls, I was happy for him of course. But I couldn't help my feelings.

"Yeah," I said, looking down at the floor then out the giant window at the towering trees, "I'll see you later then."

Spider gave a slight smile then a tight hug. After pulling away he said, "Soon Shiloh, I'll bring you with me, he can't keep you here forever."

I could tell he noticed my uneasiness so I gave him a reassuring smile, "I know, bye Spider."

"Bye."

And he left, running as fast as he could as soon as he stepped out the door. I watched him disappear into the forest until i could no longer see him.

He's right Shiloh, as soon as you turn 18 your dad can't make you stay here. You'll be free. Free like Spider.

~~~~~~~

But that was months away, and for now, I was stuck here, in the old Avatar program base. Laying upside down on my cot, staring at the heavily lit ceiling hour after hour. Spider told me everything he experienced whenever he would return, which usually wasn't until late in the night.   And there wasn't much else I could do till then. I already completed school, I learned the Na'vi language from Spider, and my father was always preoccupied with work.

Dad was originally a Pandora botany analyst. He took my Aunt Grace's position after she passed away during a mission right after I was born. His job was tweaked a little once the Unobtanium program was disbanded and now he was in charge of the entire biological analyst team. He did however always keep a close eye on me, which is understandable. He said I am a lot like my Aunt. High strong and adventurous but I had a complete disregard for the rules. I hated to agree with him, however he was absolutely correct. The amount of times I tried to follow after Spider in my childhood is too high to count. I became quite creative with my attempts, even if they were completely foiled. I'd wear all blue to try and blend in with the other Na'vi that visited, and escape right under my fathers nose. He normally spotted me once she saw my red hair or that a supposed native was wearing a exopack mask. But the older I got, the less I even tried.