𝙤𝙣𝙚. the princess's fate

THE SUN was shining brightly, and almost no clouds could be seen, the birds flew in the vast blue sky freely as they chirped a tune of happiness, giggles from children playing with each other can be heard in some places of the Kamo kingdom, and people were doing their everyday routine as usual. 

The princess also had a seemingly nice day, as she reads a book quietly in the palace garden with a cup of tea on the side, and some cookies too. A few palace guards were surrounding the area, and her personal guard as well as lady-in-waiting were also on stand by. She loved this seemingly mundane routine she had. It was quiet and only the birds chirping can be heard in the garden, her lady-in-waiting does not dare disturb her when she's reading, and her personal guard, was a relatively quiet person too. The princess simply found solitude in this kind of set-up.

"Princess...Princess Y/N!" Her lady-in-waiting slightly raised up the volume of her voice to catch the princess's attention, she was simply caught up in the book she was reading that she didn't hear her lady-in-waiting calling for her, and finally the princess looked up.

"Yes, Nobara?" she asked.

"Your father's messenger said your presence is needed in the palace, urgently" At this, Y/N's eyebrows furrowed. Why would her presence be needed this instant? But she immediately closed her book and stood up, Nobara following behind her.

"Let's go" she said and this was also the cue for Inumaki Toge, her quiet but very responsible guard to trail behind them.

"I wonder what is it this time" she muttered, her presence is rarely needed unless there was a ball, or if she's being reprimanded for something she did not do, like when her younger half-brother Kamo Noritoshi accidentally broke a vase.

Y/N was a princess, but she wasn't treated that well in this palace by the Royal Council and even her father, the king. Well, women in general are looked down upon compared to men, not just in this kingdom, but in others as well.

Yet her father's dislike towards his daughter comes from a different reason, he dislikes his daughter because every time he looks at her, he is reminded of his wife who died after giving birth to Y/N. And to add to his dismay, she was a female. He blames his daughter why his queen was taken away from him, and this was also the reason why he suddenly changed. 

The king had always wanted a son. And so he took in a concubine. And that's how Y/N had a younger half- brother named Noritoshi.

The guards opened the door to her father's office, and she bowed and greeted him like she would always do. 

"I will get straight to the point" her father says, not even batting her daughter an eye. "You are to prepare to leave this palace next week, as you will get married to King Sukuna" 

"I—what?!" she exclaimed and he glared at her.

"Do not raise your voice, Y/N" he said sternly. 

"But—"

"I am not asking for your opinion, you are to go to his kingdom, he has taken a liking to you and want you as one of his options in selecting his queen. Aren't you supposed to be happy you'll have a chance to be queen?"

"But father I am more than willing to give up the throne to Noritoshi, just don't send me there!" 

"You are going there, whether you like it or not, end of discussion. You may now go" her father gestured and looked away from her. This was the cue for her to leave, as whatever words she will say next won't be heard, so she quietly exited the office, eyes brimming with tears albeit trying her best to control it.

To say that Y/N was devastated was an understatement. Sure her father doesn't like her presence at all, she was fully aware of that,  but to marry off her daughter to a renowned tyrant? 

That's just pure cruelty.

She was fully aware of the reason why her father's attitude towards her is like that, she sometimes even blames herself and wishes she didn't exist, maybe her mother was still alive then, and her father wouldn't be so harsh.

At these thoughts, she couldn't take it anymore and ran through the halls, Nobara's voice echoed as she called out for her, but she never looked back. She wanted to cry and all she wanted was to be alone, but suddenly she bumped to someone, and it was the last person she wanted to see her crying.

"Nee-san, why are you crying?" It was her brother, Noritoshi. He looked at her, concern gracing his face, but she just pushed him away.

"I'm s-sorry Toshi" she addresses him by the nickname she gave him when they were younger. "I'm fine, I just need to go" she says.

"But you're not okay" he says, taking a grip of her wrist. 

Noritoshi was a good brother, and he respected Y/N more than any person in this palace. Y/N never hated her brother despite him being the favored one, but she just couldn't let him see her cry. 

"Don't worry for me, Toshi, I'm no longer living in this palace soon" she says with a sad smile on her face. She wipes her tears with her sleeves and gently took her wrist from her brother's grip. 

Confused, Noritoshi furrowed his eyebrows "What do you mean by that?"

But Y/N only gave him a faint smile.

"I'll miss you. By then, lead this kingdom well" and with that she left the boy behind.

"Wait, nee-san—"

"Prince Noritoshi, I'm sorry but please let her be, if you may excuse us" Nobara bowed at him and followed the princess. Nobara knows too well that if Y/N cries, she doesn't want Noritoshi to witness it.

When Y/N finally decided to let Nobara enter her room, the first thing she did is hug her tight. Her hair was a mess and the dry tears were visible in her face. Nobara immediately grabbed a cloth and basin and cleaned her face.

"Your highness, please tell me what's wrong?" she asks, and Y/N gave her a faint smile.

"Nobara, I'm leaving this kingdom next week, I'm...getting married off" she replied.

"What? To whom?"

"King Sukuna"

"What?!"

"Shh, quiet"

"But we all know that king will only make you one of his concubines! He has never chosen his queen to this day! You'll only suffer there your highness" Nobara couldn't believe what she's hearing. But Y/N wanted more time alone so she asked her to leave her be for the mean time, bowing in defeat, Nobara left the princess's room with a heavy heart.

Inumaki saw her expression, so he asked what happened and Nobara told him. A moment of silence occured before Inumaki spoke again.

"Kugisaki, what will happen to us?" Inumaki questioned.

This question made Nobara's eyes widen as she realizes the impact of Y/N moving to another kingdom to them.

"I...honestly don't know..." she replies. "I don't know, maybe you'll get to join other soldiers" she says.

"But me? I might really lose my job" she clenches her fists. "The palace is fullybooked, and there are no more vacant positions for me...but you know what's worse?" she looked at Inumaki.

"We'll lose a friend"

These words made such an impact to Inumaki. He had always been the quiet type and Y/N was his first ever friend. Y/N never treated him as just her mere guard, but a friend. That's how she has always been with the people assigned to her.

And while it could have been such another ordinary yet beautiful day for princess Y/N, this news was just enough to ruin it and the incoming days of her life.