New faces - Part Two

You awoke on a bed in a bright room.

You had to scrunch your eyes until they adjusted to the light that streamed from the ceiling.

Multiple eyes stared at you from across the half-open battered sliding door.

You recognised two of them as Ventrexians and the other as a human male.

The human cleared his throat and walked confidently up to where you were laying on the bed.

"Hey, you're awake! Do you, per chance, play cards?"

"Uhh..."

You paused, sitting up, somewhat taken aback by the guy's sunny disposition.

One of the Ventrexians pointed a gun in your face accusingly with a sneer.

"Who says she's not working for the Lord Commander? I say we interrogate her then toss her out the air lock."

"Oh, wow. Real smooth there kid. Now you live made them uncomfortable! We don't know that she's bad...are you bad?"

He turned towards you with a raised brow.

"N-No?"

You managed to stutter through your teeth, there was no heat in the room and you shivered in its absence.

"Aha! That settles it then, she's not dangerous!"

The human named Gary declared with a boast, pointing at the one with the gun.

"You think she'd be honest if she was working with the enemy? I don't think so."

The Ventrexian said, lowing his weapon whilst giving you a harsh glare.

He seemed on edge but was able to follow the human's judgement which baffled you.

"Sorry but where am I? What happened?"

A woman lent on the door behind Gary and the others.

"We found your distress beacon entering our space before your ship suddenly exploded-"

"-But I, Gary Goodspeed, saved your life so...you're welcome."

Gary interrupted.

"Actually-" The smaller ventrexian spoke with a sly grin on his face, now looking at you.

"It was KVN who pulled her out of the danger zone-"

A rounded robot suddenly burst into the room, laughing whilst pushing away the Gary.

He stood (or rather, hovered) in front of you with a smug grin in his singular eye, a quiet but content bleeping escaping his processor slot.

"Hey there stranger! The name's KVN, I am the deep space insanity avoidance companion who resuscitated you after your ship went to boomtown!"

"Shut up KVN! You useless bag of wet turds! You just ruined my perfect speech! I'd been practicing in the mirror for the last few hours but you just couldn't keep that but to yourself, could you?!"

You giggled and Gary stopped complaining.

You turned to face him, smiled and then decided to mess with him.

"Thank you KVN, I would have been a goner if you hadn't saved me!"

"What!?"

Gary screamed then ran out of the room and down the corridor, his voice echoing as he squealed, "This new girl makes no sense!"

The ventrexian boy laughed at Gary's expense then went off whilst the other one gave you one last glare before joining him.

KVN poked at your bruised leg repeatedly before wrapping his arms around your head, casually adding the comment, "I have a feeling we're gonna' be best friends!"