A House Forgotten

A tall man held a little girl in his arms, and both of them stared across the harbor, where a great red sun was setting.

"Papa, why is the sun red today?"

The child asked curiously, her red eyes shining in the light, not unlike two rubies.

"The sun is red like your eyes, for no reason, other than that decided by the seven."

Her father replied smoothly, keeping his eyes on the ships arriving in the harbor.

"Is that why you are gathering an army?"

"Ashling, I trust you won't speak of this to anyone else?"

He asked, while the sky darkened to a semi-gray color.

The little girl nodded, snuggling her head against his cheek, as content as a child could be.

"Yes, soon I might have enough men.  Then we shall visit your mother, wouldn't that be nice?"

His grey eyes stared across the water.

Unspoken words filled the air, and silence came with the darkness brought by night.

-

A rider on a black horse sprinted through a dark forest.

The trees, despite still being in the midst of summer had no leaves, and the little girl hid beneath her father's cloak, afraid and nervous.

She was only four years old.

"Papa, the trees are all bare looking."

She received no reply, her father was too focused on the path ahead.

It was only some time later that they stopped before a log cabin

Her father swung a leg down from the saddle, swiftly tying the horse to a branch on a tree, then he lifted her from the saddle and placed her on the ground.

"Come."

His voice was emotionless and his face was blank as they walked toward the house.

Her hand clutched part of his cloak, as if clutching a lifeline.

She hid behind him when he knocked on the door.

A beautiful sounding voice rang out from inside.

"Who is it?"

"Nathar."

Her father replied in a bored tone, but his shoulders were tense, and he had the aura of a man prepared for battle.

The door opened with such ferocity that the little girl cowered in fright, before her eyes registered a young, beautiful woman, with striking black hair, and glowing red eyes.  Red eyes like her's.

"HOW DARE YOU TARBECK!"

Her father, always calm and collected, flinched, causing the girl to jump back, still holding her father's cloak in one hand.

"THREE YEARS AWAY, NOT ONE CROW, AND NOT EVEN A WORD OF SUCCESS!"

A red jewel on top of her head shone as she brandished a cooking spoon at the man.

"Alisha plea...."

He was cut off by the woman, "DON'T YOU ALISHA ME, YOU @#$ ^&*()!"

Luckily the man had covered the girl's ears at that point and was very determined in not letting her hear the woman's wrath.

"Alisha, I've brought Ash home."

The spoon clattered to the ground, and the woman seemed to freeze in shock when her eyes caught sight of the girl.

"Ash?"