Ch. 37 - The Epilogue

Ch. 38 .... The Epilogue (Two Years Later)

Reyna could only gasp for air as she felt the warmth of her own blood soaking her midsection and soon after trailing down her legs.

Had she the strength, she might have cried.

How had things gone so wrong?

After fighting Hel and preventing the end of days from coming in her lifetime, she thought she'd earned some downtime from the Fates. But as if it could be any more evident than right now, she knew the saying was true; fate was cruel.

Less than two years!

She had less than two years of peace after defending Olympus when the gods went silent. Normally that wouldn't have been an issue but soon after, events began to take shape that explained their absence.

An enemy older than the Titans began to stir. It started slowly at first but within months of the first signs, her entire world had been turned upside down again. Quests were sent but rarely ever heard from again.

When she had sent Percy, Frank and Frank's girlfriend Hazel to Alaska, they had been the first to return intact; and even then, they had appeared only to warn them of the impending invasion of an army led by the giant son of Terra, Polybotes.

That was when she had felt the true taste of fate's bitter side.

They survived the battle and defeated the giant... At a cost she was not willing to pay.

Even with his final breaths, Percy had been a true hero, slaying the giant with only the help of an impertinent statue god. But even he, the greatest hero of their age, hadn't been able to overcome the injuries suffered in that victory.

Had it not been for Jason, Reyna would have been right beside him, dying in the defense of their home and their people.

But she couldn't do that. She had a son, a baby boy born roughly nine months after the battle of Manhattan.

For all their life experience leading up to that battle, neither had had the time to learn about the little things in life. Things that all teens their age are tought... Like safe sex.

But despite not even being eighteen years old, they were more than capable of taking care of their son, a boy they'd named after the bravest friend they'd ever known.

With Reyna a praetor and Percy a centurion in the Roman legion, along with being two of the most revered heroes of the Roman people, they'd had an outpouring of support from the legion and the entire city of New Rome. Raising a baby was tough but she found that doing it with Percy was the most worthwhile thing she'd ever done in her life. And things were going fine...

Until they weren't.

After losing Percy, she had trouble controlling her emotions. And soon after, with the legion traveling to Greece to join the Greeks in the defense of the original Mount Olympus, she found herself forced to leave her child in the care of a trusted friend in New Rome while she led the legion into a battle she didn't know if they could win.

Now look at her... Bleeding out at the foot of the original Mount Olympus; alone and leaving behind a child to be raised in a world she wasn't sure would even exist past the next twenty four hours. They hadn't lost the battle... Yet. But she had taken an arrow for Frank from some ridiculous child of Gaea who had once been in love with the goddess Artemis. Even in her waning moments, she couldn't help but feel furious she had fallen to that pathetic pretty boy excuse for a giant.