Laplus Darkness--At Ease

(I recommend listening to the video while reading, also sorry this is a bit shorter than usual)

I felt at ease while drawing in my sketchbook as the raindrops fell on my window. Thunder would also make an appearance from time to time, but I wasn't bothered by it in the least. I keep drawing the likeness of a girl who has grown on me over the past few months. Laplus, my roommate, is the lady in question. She is undoubtedly a girl with attitude, but she also has a sweet nature. In addition, she is difficult to take seriously due to her diminutive stature.

Due to certain circumstances, we moved in together, and at first, because of her initially distant nature, I wasn't quite sure if we would get along. However, as our conversation progressed and she opened up more, that barrier quickly vanished. She started to occasionally display a more compassionate side toward me. She would buy me gifts unexpectedly and say things like, "You'll need this anyway!" These gifts were often small trinkets or treats. I take a breather from my pencil and smile to myself. I'm distracted from my thoughts by a gentle knock on the door of my bedroom.

"Come in." I say softly, knowing who is on the other side.

The girl who has been occupying my thoughts opens the door and walks in, her hair uncombed and messy, with a conflicted and embarrassed expression on her face.

"Human, I-I would prefer to stay in your room tonight, if that is okay with you..." She looks down while blushing a bit. I nod and smile while patting the space next to me. I'm a little perplexed by the strange and unexpected request, but I'm happy to keep her company if she likes. She hurriedly hops onto the bed and sits next to me, looking over and seeming to notice the sketchbook in my hand and the drawing of her. She looks back at me with a curious look. I chuckle slightly in embarrassment.

"Ah, sorry. I wanted to draw something, and you were the first thing that popped up in my head."

She took a moment to study the drawing after I finished speaking before she turned her attention back to me.

"I like it." She said it so bluntly that it almost took me by surprise.

"Oh, really?"

She nods, and I can't help but feel a growing happiness inside me.

For a while, we just sit and listen to the rain until another thunderclap sounds and Laplus flinches visibly. Then it all clicks. She's afraid of thunder.

I tap on her shoulder and gesture to the space on the bed between my legs, and she seems to get the message because she noticeably blushes but doesn't deny it and sits between my legs. Then, in an effort to calm her down, I wrapped my arms around her, pulled her a little closer, and ran my hand through her hair. During this, I started humming a gentle tune, which helped her feel less tense. Every time the noise of thunder rang out, I would tightly hug her.

We continued to cuddle like this for a while until she started to nod off, at which point I gently placed her next to me and we both peacefully dozed off to the sounds of the storm.