Part 1

Y/n's POV

I was wiping down tables at the Hard Deck bar while it's closing. I'm wearing jeans with a long sleeve blouse tucked in them with the top buttons undone. My hair is tied up into a high ponytail and I'm wearing converse too. I picked up the chairs and flipped them upside down and placed them on top of the tables.

"Hey, Y/n." Penny called out. I hummed while turning to her. "You got a call." She then tossed me the phone.

"Hello," I answered while putting the phone to my ear.

"Admiral L/n. This is Admiral Tom "Iceman" Kazansky." Kazansky greeted me. "I'm calling because Top Gun needs you. They want you to help Maverick teach a class of The Best for a dangerous mission."

"Kazansky, I'm a 45 year old, retired Navy Fighter Pilot. I'm done with Top Gun." I answered.

"Please. They need your help. You're a legend throughout Top Gun, no, throughout the world." I sigh while pinching the bridge of my nose. "Top Gun needs Admiral Y/n "Smile" L/n."

Then there was a moment of silence.

"When do I come in?" I asked.

~ Time Skip ~

Third Person POV

Maverick is sitting at the bar with a glass after he comes back from the pacific navy air force fleet from speaking with Vice Admiral Beau "Cyclone" Simpson and Rear Admiral Solomon "Warlock" Bates about the mission and its teachings. He looks up to see two aviators that are in their uniform, playing darts.

"20 bucks, you can't get three in a row." One of them challenged the other. The other guy then throws the forest dart, gets a bullseye, then throws the second dart, gets a bullseye again. Then the challenger covered his eyes as he threw the last dart, getting another bullseye. He looks back to see, not moving his hand as the other guy moves back, high fives his hand before going to grab the darts. Maverick looks down at his phone to see that Iceman messaged him.

"That didn't go well."

He turns to message him back.

"The kid's not ready for this mission."

They're referring to the meeting about the mission and about a certain bird. Then Iceman messages back.

"No one is.

That's why you're here, along with your partner."

Then Maverick messaged back.

"You could have warned me."

Then Iceman messaged back.

"Would you have come?"

Then Maverick thinks about it for a moment because he snaps out of it by a familiar voice.

"As I live and breathe. Pete "Maverick" Mitchell." He turns to see someone he hasn't seen in years.

"Y/n?" He questioned while turning back to face her. She's wearing jeans with a long sleeve blouse tucked in them with the top buttons undone while her hair is tied up in a high ponytail.

"The one and only." She said with her emotionless expression.

"Same as always I see. Anyway, what are you doing here?"

"I should be asking you the same thing."

"That is a long story."

"I doubt that."

"Yeah."

"Who'd you piss off this time?"

"Another Admiral."