Chapter 1

The evening moon was shining brightly, a little too brightly for a tiring day. Malvin let out a heavy sigh as he walked on the quiet bridge. The bridge so poorly built with multiple histories of suicide. More spoken on the fact of the number of lives taken, than its simplicity being its beauty. As he walked further, as a 28 year old, single man, working a middle class job, earning enough to eat and wear decent clothes according to the seasons looks to his right, a sight that usually focuses on the moon, but Malvin didn't notice the glowing moon that suddenly seemed desperate for attention. He noticed a young girl, maybe 11 years old? Smoking. Yes, clearly smoking.

"Hey!" he called out. This mind clearly tells him not to. Asking him to walk away, like every normal being. But he isn't normal like the others now is he?

The girl didn't seem to listen. He was walking closer, his hands stretched out.

"Hey!" The girl yelled, annoyed. She turned to look at the man. He had grabbed her only cigarette that she stole with difficulty. He dropped it in front of her and had even stepped on it, puffing it out.

"What do you think you're doing?" He said, breathing hard and rapid.

"Don't you think that's my question to ask, Mister?" she answered, still annoyed and staring at the now crushed cigarette, breathing its last few breaths.

"Those can kill you. Actually, no. I think you already knew that and still chose to do it. You are so young. Why?" He rushed all these thoughts out. Comprehensible or not.

"Felt good the first time. Just continued." She answered with a shrug. Gaze still not leaving the cigarette on the ground.

Only now did he notice her shabby clothes, dirty arms or healing wounds on her arms. Her jeans were definitely torn and were not styled. Her face clearly bruised around the eyes and lips dried with blood.

"Do you need help? I can call-" He continued, his voice softer this time.

"Don't. Anyways they will need proof and I am too young to live on my own. If they find me I'll be put in another foster home." She nonchalantly answered.

"Again." was the only word that rang in his head. "How many times has she run away?"

"Just go away and let me be here." She finally said.

"Do you want to come over? Just have dinner." He offered.

"You do realise how perverted and pedophilic you sound right now, right?" She raised her brow.

He was going to argue and defend himself. He didn't really have ulterior motives. But when she mentioned it, he did realise how strange it must have sounded to a by-passer. He could have gotten arrested due to the lack of context. His anxiousness showed on his face and he heard laughter fill the air.

"You should look at yourself right now. You look like a lost chicken." She continued laughing and held on to her stomach. "I don't think a lost chicken would do anything to me. I'd cook you if you tried anything funny though." She threatened right after.