ONE

"What is your mission, soldier?" A stern voice echoed through the shadows.

"To defend those who are searching for the end." A young female voice spoke monotonously. The way her voice never moved an octave made her sound like a robot.

The stern voice hummed in the shadows, a smirk hidden within the sound. "And what will you do to the ones who interfere with your mission?"

"I will eliminate anyone who gets in my way." The female voice muttered menacingly.

-

The Glade had never been a particularly peaceful place. Just like every other part of the world, the Glade had suffered through some dark times. The boys in the Glade worked hard each day to bypass those dark times and create peace. That peace seemed to be functioning smoothly until the day that the new Greenie had shown up: Thomas.

The second the dark haired boy had left the box; chaos seemed to follow. He had nearly ran into the maze directly leaving the box. He had pissed Gally off multiple times. But to top it all off, Thomas had ran into the maze in order to save another Glader and their leader. Normally this wouldn't be a problem because no one had ever survived a night in the maze, but Thomas did. In addition to surviving the night in the maze, he had also successfully saved Minho and Alby.

Now everyone stood in the council hall as a meeting was being held on what to do with the newbie who had broken so many of their rules. Gally stood at the center of the room as he gave his speech on the matter. The boy's abnormally large forehead held many wrinkles as he spoke, "Things are changing. There's no denying that. First, Ben gets stung in broad daylight. And then Alby. And now our Greenie, here, has taken it upon himself to go into the maze. Which is a clear violation of our rules here."

"Yeah, but he saved Alby's life." Frypan spoke up from behind the blond second in command, Newt who stood leaned against a piece of the structure that surrounded them.

"Did he? For 3 years, we have coexisted with these things. And now, you've killed one of them. Who knows what that could mean for us." Gally turned to speak to Thomas directly. The boy was worried that because Thomas had managed to kill one of the monsters that dwelt in the maze that it was only a matter of time before the monsters took revenge.

"What do you suggest we do?" Newt asked, calmly. His accent broke through his words.

"He has to be punished." Gally answered as though it were the most obvious thing in the world.

Protests rang out throughout the crowd of boys. Chuck's protests being the loudest. After all, it was no secret that the chubby, younger boy had taken a liking to Thomas.

Newt, ever the calm one in the situation, glanced over to Minho. He wanted to hear all sides of this debate, and Minho's could very well be the most important one. "Minho. You were there with him. What do you think?"

"I think in all the time we've been here no one has ever killed a Griever before. When I turned tail and ran this dumb shank stayed behind to help Alby. Look, I don't know if he's brave or stupid. But whatever it is, we need more of it." The Korean boy pauses before finally admitting what he thought they should do. "I say we make him a runner."

Once again protests sprang through the room, but cheers from Chuck came as he chanted Thomas's name.

"A runner? What? Minho, let's not jump the gun, here." Frypan exclaimed, supporting the boy, but not this outrageous decision.

FIRE MEETS FATE - Newt जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें