TWO

"Where am I?" The girl asked, looking up to Newt with big brown eyes. She glanced around the hut to see Jeff standing there, as well, watching her cautiously. "Who are you?"

Newt hesitantly held his hands in front of him to show her that he didn't mean any harm. She watched him closely as he bent down to her level. "It's okay. You're okay. My name is Newt, and you're in the Glade. No one is going to hurt you. Can you remember your name?"

The girl stayed silent for a moment as she quietly searched her mind for any memories. Her mind was almost blank except for two names: Thomas and-

"Cassie." The girl stated, with furrowed eyebrows of confusion. "It's short for Cassandra. Why can't I remember anything?"

"It's normal. None of us can remember anything from before we woke up here." Newt explained softly to the girl. "Are you sure you don't remember anything? Maybe who sent you or why?"

Cassie shook her head softly as she sat still. Her brown eyes squinted as she thought hard. "I just- a name. Tommy." She stumbled over words as she remembered the boy's name.

"Thomas. What do you remember about Thomas?" Newt asked, slowly taking a seat on the end of the cot that she had sat up on.

The girl closed her eyes as she tried to remember anything, but still the blank remained. "I can't remember anything. Why can't I remember anything?" She asked, opening her eyes and looking over to Newt.

"I don't know. None of us do." Newt told the girl.

"Where's Thomas?" Cassie asked, quietly as she held her knees to her chest.

"He'll be back soon. He left to find some answers." Newt told her, watching her reaction closely. He wanted to understand this girl and why she only remembered Thomas.

Cassie could feel Newt watching her. She avoided making eye contact with the blond boy, but instead observed him from her peripheral vision. He seemed stressed as he bit his thumbnail when he thought she wasn't looking. His brown eyes flickered through emotions as he watched her carefully. His dirty blond hair fell into his face whenever he moved his head downward.

He didn't seem threatening, but rather comforting. His voice was kind and soft when he spoke to her, as though he were scared that she would run away.

"Newt, we need to talk." A voice demanded as a taller, muscular boy entered the room. "We never-" The boy stopped as he noticed one of the girl were awake and sitting up on the cot with Newt. "She's awake."

"What is it, Gally?" Newt huffed out, his tone the complete opposite of when he spoke to Cassie. Newt was irritated just by Gally's presence at this point. He was trying to take Newt's job of second in command since Alby had been out.

"We never finished the meeting about the Greenie earlier. I think we need to. Especially since he just took three other non-runners into the maze with him and Minho." Gally crossed him arms as he spoke, seeming to find himself having a bit of power over Newt's head.

Newt sighed and waved his hand towards the door, knowing it was a fight that Gally wouldn't back down from. "Fine, but Cassie is coming too." Gally's arms dropped as his mouth opened. Before the boy could protest, Newt held a hand up to him. "You want a meeting which means that both Clint and Jeff have to be there. I'm not going to just leave her in here by herself, especially when she'd have to listen to Alby."

Gally huffed before walking out the door. Cassie had watched the whole encounter quietly. Newt rubbed a hand over his face before telling Clint and Jeff to head to the council hall. He stood from the cot and turned towards the girl. "I'm sorry to drag you into this, but Gally won't stop until he gets his way. Maybe some fresh air will help you remember something."