Chapter Two

She did surprisingly well in her class for someone who had only absorbed memories of the previous lessons. Sure, she'd studied a bit, but not nearly enough to do as good as she did.

Still, she wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. She'd take her blessings where she could get them. If she just so happened to have an easier time remembering things now, well she'd absolutely take it.

When she got home, Jeremy was already there. He sat in the kitchen eating a couple sandwiches and drinking some of the lemonade she'd made.

She was glad they liked it, because she wasn't really a mixologist and kool-aid was the only other drink she could make. She figured this was the healthier and more well received option.

When she got closer, she could smell the weed on his clothes and see the red in his eyes. His smile was a bit more loose, too. She rolled her eyes fondly and ruffled his hair but didn't say anything.

She didn't partake in the drug herself, but she wasn't going to criticize anyone who did. While he was a bit young, he was also going through a hard time and there were worse drugs he could have chosen.

She began making herself a sandwich as she hummed, glancing down at her watch when she was finished. Her tattoo appointment was soon. She took a bite out of her sandwich, eating absentmindedly as she gazed at Jeremy.

He was under the influence right now, so she wasn't sure if it was exactly the right time to bring it up, but... "Hey Jer, wanna get a tattoo with me?"

His head popped up at her words, and he turned around to gape at her, unfinished food visible in his mouth. She wrinkled her nose at it, raising an eyebrow in his direction. He quickly swallowed it down.

"Are you serious, Aunt Jenna? This isn't a test is it?" He asked disbelievingly.

She gave him an amused smile, taking another bite and swallowing carefully before responding. "Yes. I think you're old enough now to get one with a guardian's permission. I'm your guardian, and I trust you not to get your body tattooed with something you'll regret."

He instantly seemed to sober, eyes turning serious as he nodded. "You're right. I won't, aunt Jenna, promise. When can we do this?"

She finished the last of her sandwich and put her plate in the sink to wash later. She glanced at her watch one more time and then back up at Jeremy. She eyed his plate. "Now, if you're ready?"

He drained the last of his lemonade and then stuffed the last sandwich into his mouth, putting his dishes in the sink alongside her own. He then made his way towards the front door. "I'm ready, aunt Jenna!" He called behind himself unnecessarily with a cheery smile. 

Huffing a laugh she grabbed her purse off the counter and picked her keys up off the table by the door. She closed it behind her and made her way towards the car. Jeremy was already waiting in the passenger seat.

Seeing him already buckled in, she started the drive to the nearby tattoo parlor. The town wasn't all that big, so everything was rather close. Honestly,  a car wasn't even really needed, and they could've made the walk in about thirty minutes. Still, she—and most other people of the non-supernatural variety—were lazy, and preferred to drive.

They made it there in under ten minutes and headed inside, the bell above the door ringing behind them. A man was already standing behind the counter waiting. He took a glance at Jeremy and then pulled out a sheet.

She'd told him beforehand she might be bringing along her minor niece or nephew and she'd give permission if they wanted a tattoo. Seeing as Jeremy was already looking around trying to decide what he wanted, she guessed the man figured the permission slip may be needed.

It wasn't that difficult to get the man, Carlos, to put vervain in the ink. At least not after she'd signed a form releasing him from any of the consequences that may result from such an action. She didn't blame him, but either way she'd researched it extensively and was sure there wouldn't be any problems.

Her tattoo had already been picked out. Something she'd always wanted to get done in her previous life but never had the time or nerve to do so. Now she had both.

It was of a large Chinese style dragon surrounded by cherry blossoms on her upper back. The dragon was made with black ink, the only splash of color being the pink of the blossoms.

The tattoo had many meanings. For one, she'd always loved the flower and its connotation. It smelled good, was beautiful, and symbolized rebirth or new beginnings; something that gained whole new meaning when taking her situation into consideration.

The other reason was because it connected her to her previous life.

While she and her older sister had both been caucasian, her brother-in-law was Chinese, his family immigrating to the US when he was a child. That made her nieces half-Chinese.

She loved them, and loved their culture. She'd thought so many things about it were beautiful, and had made an effort to learn some of the customs and speak the language to be better able to connect with her nieces and that side of her family.

She could admit to crying while getting the tattoo done, and not because of the pain.

Jeremy held her hand tightly through it all, doing his best to comfort her. He was sober now, and that serious look in his eyes remained, though they gained a slightly contemplating glint. She was grateful for his presence.

When it was done, she was bandaged and given instructions on how to care for it the next couple of weeks to keep it from getting infected. Jeremy listened intently as he took a seat on a nearby chair, ready for his own.

His was simpler in design but just as meaningful as her own. He'd chosen to get his parents initials on his upper arm, the infinity sign interweaving between the two: G.G. & M.G.

Grayson Gilbert and Miranda Gilbert.

Her body's blood-related sister and brother-in-law. She couldn't say she didn't miss them, despite not even getting the chance to know them. Even though in the Before she'd always thought Grayson to be a horrible person—for holding vampires captive and torturing them—the original Jenna hadn't known and still considered him family.

Her memories held more sway on her than she'd thought, though not enough to change her own, or her emotions for that matter. Just enough to make her feel sympathetic for the orphaned children. Much more in the case of Miranda, who hadn't been in-the-know.

She wasn't sure if it was the remaining weed in his system or just him having a high pain tolerance, but Jeremy didn't make a sound through the whole process. He let her hold his hand, but his grip was relatively loose and relaxed.

Jenna thanked Carlos for his work gratefully, paid, and then headed out with Jeremy. "Wanna grab an early dinner at the Grill?" She asked, sneaking a glance at him from the corner of her eye as she drove on.

He nodded. "Yeah, sounds good." A slight pause followed, then—"Thank you for this, Aunt Jenna. It really means a lot." His words were hesitant, but heartfelt.

Jenna knew then that all the love she felt for him was entirely of her own volition. He really was a good boy just going through a very rough time that, in the future, seemed as if it would hardly end. And truly, it really was just one problem after another for the kids in Mystic Falls. She dearly hoped to be of some use in avoiding some of it.

She reached over the console and gave his hand a gentle, comforting squeeze. "Of course, Jer. You're my family."