Hermione

I sat on the train beside Ron. Harry and Ginny sat across from us. I looked out the window to pass time until we arrived at Hogwarts. The train passed rolling green hills and trees with leave not yet turning, so the leaves are a burnt green. My eyes are heavy watching the scenery flash by, but sleep was not an option. Ginny knows about my nightmares, but I made her promise not to tell Ron or Harry. If I fall asleep and have a nightmare on the train, they would know and look at me differently. They would look at me like I was broken. I didn't want my best friends to look at me like that. Enough people look at my like that, I don't need my best friends doing it also. I wanted them to continue to see me as the strong person they grew up with. Ginny already looks at me sometimes like I was different, fragile. She tries not to but that was enough for me not to tell anyone else.

There was a knock on the door and it slid open. "Miss. Granger, may I speak with you for a moment?" Professor McGonagall voice broke through the silence.

I was shocked but I nodded and got up from my seat and walked towards the door. I stepped into the hallway outside the compartment and McGonagall shut the door behind me.

"Yes professor, what is it you wanted to talk to me about?" I asked her, curiosity taking over.

"Seeing as you decided to return to Hogwarts last minute, we were not able to owl with our request in time. I would like you to be the Head Girl this year. How do you feel about that? I understand that last year was hard for you to say the least, so if you choose to go through this year as just a regular student, I completely understand, however we would love you to accept the position." She asked me.

I thought I saw some hope in her eyes that I would accept, but I am probably mistaken, but how can I say no to my house professor?

"Thank you Professor. I would love to be Head Girl. I am trying my best to put last year behind me and I think taking this position will help me do just that."

Honestly, I think I should decline the position but the head girl and head boy get a separate dormitory and space may be exactly what I need this year.

"Excellent then. Just a few things, here is your badge, you do not need to wear it now but when you do final check at night, you will need to wear it." She handed me a pin with the words head girl written in gold on a scarlet background. "You may take points from students and houses as you see fit. I trust that you will not abuse this privilege, however if you do it will result in immediate dismissal from the position. Is this all understood?"

I nodded at her, still in disbelief. I was going to be Head Girl. I almost missed this opportunity because of the war and how messed up I was from it.

"Also, some of the teachers are worried that last year will have longer-lasting effects than we originally thought, so if you wish to go through some sort of counseling, or even regular meetings with me, we can arrange that. I care about my students and I would like to help with anything you need okay?" Her eyes were filled with concern.

I nodded and Professor McGonagall walked away, content with my answer, and I walked back into the compartment with Ron, Harry, and Ginny.

"Is everything okay?" Ginny asked as she sat up a little taller when I walked in.

"Yeah, I was just made Head Girl." I responded, slightly dazed.

They all congratulated me. I smiled a genuine smile for the first time in months, as I started down at the little badge in my palm.

Hogwarts quickly came into view. The train was approaching the castle quickly. I had already changed into my robes. As the train pulled into the station at Hogsmead, I got up and walked towards the exit. Once the train had pulled in completely and stopped, I exited the train and went to the carriages that will take me to the castle. Harry, Ron, Ginny, and I all piled into one carriage.

"Hermione, are you alright? You've been quiet this entire trip" Harry looked at me with concern written all over his face

"What? Oh, yeah, just anxious, and a little tired. I didn't sleep much last night. The nerves must be getting to me is all." I respond and looked at Ginny, sharing a knowing look. She knew I was lying but she promised not to say anything and for that I am extremely grateful.

Once the carriage arrived at the castle, the four of us piled out of it and headed inside for the welcome feast that's tradition at the begin of each term. We sat together at the Gryffindor table. There was a three-legged stool at the front of the room, with the sorting hat on top of it. The sorting ceremony is about to begin. I always enjoyed the sorting ceremony but this time I just wanted to be dismissed to my room for the night to get away from everyone.

McGonagall marched in with the first years, and read each name and the student walked up and was sorted in turn. Each table roared when a student was sorted into their house. I looked around the room as McGonagall put away the stool and sorting hat. My eyes caught sight of a platinum blond haired boy sitting at Slytherin table. He was almost pouting, with his head resting on his hand and his eyes slightly glazed over like he was lost in his thoughts. Just seeing him turned my mood into something sour. I glared at him without him seeing and turned back to my friends. They were talking about something, but I wasn't paying attention to it.

Everyone quieted down as McGonagall began her welcome speech. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! Seeing you all brings a smile to my face. I understand last year was hard. First years, you may not fully understand what all happened, but those of us here last year do. We return with heavy hearts and high hopes. With everything that happened last year, the professors are here to help if you are struggling with anything as well as our prefects and head boy and girl. Everyone here has lost someone they care deeply about, whether that is a family member, friend, professor, or house mate. We need to rely on each other to get through. I am hoping for a calmer year. With all that being said, ANY rule breaking will result in the taking in points. If severe enough, will result in detention, suspension, or expulsion. Students will go to class each and every day. Students will not be out after curfew unless given specific instructions from professors. Let me make one thing clear, I take the safety of my students very seriously. Anyone putting those lives in danger will be dealt with in the most severe way. I take it even more seriously after last year and everything that has happened. I care for each and every one of you and believe in you all to achieve your greatest abilities. Now enough about rules for now, please enjoy the start of term feast." With a wave of McGonagall's hand, she concluded her speech and the food appeared in front of us all. This feast meant the term has officially began.

Students throughout the Great Hall erupted in chatter and laughter. I put just enough food on my plate to make the people around me who care about me think I'm eating. Ginny gives me a knowing look as I reach for my juice. I avoid her eyes. I take my fork and move the food around the plate. This will be a long semester trying to keep my issues from my friends.

"Hey, I'm a little tired from the day, I'm going to head to my dorm. I'll see you all tomorrow for class." I say as I get up from the Gryffindor table and exit the Great Hall. I walk through the staircases, watching out for any of them that decide to move.

Once I make it to the fifth floor, I go to the dorm set aside for the Head Boy and Girl. It was only when I got there that I realized McGonagall never gave me the password. I start to turn around to go see her when I hear a voice.

"Recuperandae" called a voice from behind me.

I whip my head around almost completely certain that I recognize the voice. I hear the door behind me click and open but my eyes are staring at who I presume is the Head Boy.

"Malfoy..." I breathe out.