Chapter Six: Bound

Aira watched from the balcony as Samiul and Alexis ran through the trees, playing some form of tag and hide and seek. They reminded her of the days when she and Aiden would play carefree, never knowing what was to come.

"Gala, watch them," Aira called out. Gala turned to her and smiled, giving her a thumbs up.

Despite the fences that surrounded them, Aira was always on edge. Her instincts wouldn't let her put her guard down for even a second. She learned the hard way what happens when she does.

"You know, they remind me of Grace and I."

Aira turned and found Celeste smiling back at her. She was casually dressed, a white shirt and jeans, making Aira think they could have passed for any regular girls just trying to survive.

Only, the truth was far more horrifying.

"Playing behind fences, never letting anyone know who or what we were," she clarified as she moved to stand beside Aira.

"Fences are safer," Aira muttered, leaning into the railing as she watched them move with uncanny speeds.

"How very Van of you," Celeste replied, smirking as she eyed Aira's stance. "You look ready to jump over that railing any second."

That was true. Any danger in sight and she would gladly put herself between her children and whatever dared to threaten them.

Hers.

She had raised them since they were babies and Gala since she was 6 years old. Her whole world revolved around them; it had been that way for so long she often forgot what it was she had done with her life previously.

She smiled sadly as she thought about sweet River and how he would have been Gala's age by now. There was an ache in her heart that she never knew what happened to him, just as her heart ached for the unknown fate of Jarret, Nikolai, and Olya.

She reached her hand to her chest and flinched when Celeste put a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"Where's Aither?" she asked.

Celeste shrugged. "Out with William, and Mom's with Brea getting groceries."

"Aira!"

Aira's eyes snapped wide as she heard the panicked shriek from Gala. Without hesitation, she flung her body over the railing, landing on her feet at the bottom and sprinting to where she heard the cries. She could faintly hear Celeste calling her name, but her vision narrowed as she beelined for the kids.

"Gala!" she screamed, panic filling her chest as she looked around.

The scared whimpers of Gala and Samiul were what helped her find them. Alexis stood tall, growling low at the intruders.

"Go away!" Alexis screamed.

"It can't be..." Gala muttered; eyes wide as she stared at the strangers towering over them.

Aira moved closer and Alexis seemed to sense her. She ran to her aunt, her arms thrown around Aira's waist. Aira gently dislodged her and moved in front of the children.

It was then that she looked at the men threatening her young and she felt all the blood drain from her body.

"Van..." she whispered as she looked the man over.

He didn't react as he stared her down. Aira had to blink twice, making sure it really was him... but she couldn't be sure. The resemblance was uncanny, but this man looked almost younger, with bright green eyes and his face wasn't nearly as stern.

She took a timid step forward, her hand reaching out to touch his face. Her heart raced a mile a minute, wondering if this was just another dream, or if he was indeed standing in front of her.