Ch. 6: Powerful Emotions

Sonic zipped into town just in time.

"Whoa, the playoffs!" He awed, peeking from behind a tree.

The red pitcher, with the words 'Sun Valley ' inscribed in his uniform, threw the ball. The batter in green, standing in for 'Green Hills ', landed a home-run, resulting in a Green Hills victory.

Sonic quickly ran under the bleachers to get a closer look as everyone cheered. He watched in a small spot as the home players high-fived each other in congratulations, then boosted the batter into the air. He smiled; he wished her could have those kinds of friends and support...

Something then drew his attention away. Sitting on the top of the bleachers was a girl about his age, drawing in a sketchbook.

Her hair was short and choppy, with a small ponytail on the left side of her head, while her side bangs brushed over her right eye. She looked up and gave a small smile at the uprooting team of Green Hills, then went back to her drawing.

For a moment, Sonic thought her hair reminded him of mint, and her eyes like amethysts. He rubbed his eyes to see if he wasn't dreaming. The girl was still there. 'I've never seen her before,' he thought. 'Is she new here in town? '

He memorized practically everyone's face In Green Hills, but never has he seen anyone like her.

It was a few seconds before Willow realized everyone was driving home. She stuffed her sketchbook and art supplies back in her backpack and strolled off to the diner to grab som dinner.

For some reason, Sonic felt sad as he watched her leave...

Sonic shook his head to snap out of it. 'What's wrong with me?' He thought. 'First I'm happy when I see a girl that I've never even seen before, and the next minute I'm sad when she leaves.'

He paused for a moment.

'It's like I'm drawn to her, somehow.'

"Nah," he shrugged. "I'm sure I'll get over it tonight."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that evening, Sonic crawled out of the bleachers as the lights came on over the stadium. He stepped onto the grass and looked around.

"Whoa," he awed. "So cool."

His thoughts trailed off when he spotted a bag of leftover baseball equipment on first base.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Willow was on her way back to the sheriff's house when she heard a teenage guy's voice by the stadium.

As stealthily as her shoes would allow her, she snuck behind the bleachers and poked her head out. A short, probably three-foot tall, blue furry creature with a red helmet was getting ready to bat at home base.

"Bottom of the ninth, tie score," Sonic said in his sports TV voice. "And exactly who you want at the plate with the game on the line: Sonic!"

Sonic sped over to the pitcher's mound with a green baseball cap on, whirling his throwing his throwing hand around to get his blood pumping.

"But staring him down from the pitcher's mound is the most fearsome southpaw in Green Hills: also Sonic!"

Willow quietly giggled to herself. 'He's like me trying to play pretend by myself! '