A New Surprise

Darkness. That's the first thing you see as you gain consciousness. You slowly open your eyes, only to be blinded by the bright lights. You groan as you close your eyes again, trying to block out the obnoxiously bright light. After a few moments, you squint, still trying to adjust to the sudden brightness, all while you try to figure out where you were. 

     "What the hell happened? How do you feel?" someone questions as they wrap their arms around you in a tight hug. You let out a low groan as pain shoots through your arm, a dull ache from the bullet wound you received during your run-in with the three men. You turn to see your friend, Kye.

     "When did you get here?" You ask, adjusting your position in your seat. 

     "A little while ago. It was pure luck that I saw you. I was driving past the hospital as you were being taken in," Kye explained, his hand holding yours tightly as if he thought if he let you go, you would disappear. You nod in response before looking around the room. 

     "How long was I out?" You ask, turning back towards Kye. 

     "A couple days," Kye said, his eyes drifting down to your bandaged arm. 

     You knew he felt bad that you got hurt. He was the type of person to always help others, even if it would hurt him. He would risk his own wellbeing if it meant someone else was a little better off. You could be the same way at times, but unlike Kye, you knew where to draw the line. He had the tendency to go too far. He'd give his life if he thought it would make someone else just a little happier, even if it was just for a second. He had no boundaries, at least that what he made it seem like. He'd let someone do whatever they wanted and has trouble saying no. There had been many times where you had to step in and speak up for him.

     "I'm fine. Really," you said, giving Kye's hand a squeeze.

     He smiled, before his eyes widened and he turned, digging through his bag. "Here, I sewed the hole," he said, handing you your red hoodie. The hoodie had been a gift from Lyra. She had given it to you the day before the accident.

     "Thanks," you said, looking over the spot where the hole had been.  It's well done. You can still see the seam, but it's hardly noticeable, especially from afar.

     "No problem," Kye said. You opened your mouth, beginning to say something else, but you were interrupted by a knock on the door. A nurse opened the door and walked in. 

     "All right, you're all set to go. I just need you to sign some papers real quick," the nurse said, looking down at her clipboard. 

     About five minutes later, you and Kye leave the hospital, Kye leading you through the halls to the exit. 

     "So. Are you finally going to tell me what happened?" Kye asked as the two of you walk through the parking lot to her car. Both of you get to his car and get in. 

     "Nothing much. Three masked murderers broke into my house. I jumped out the window and ran. I was shot. One of them was Toby and he let me go. I almost froze to death. A normal Monday night, you know," You said, exasperated just from thinking about the events from that day. You didn't really feel like thinking of the moment. 

     "What did you say?" Kye asked, his eyes widening. 

     "I got shot. Why is that so surprising?" You reply nonchalantly as you look over to him. Kye narrowed his eyes in annoyance. 

     "You know that's not what I meant dumbass. What did you say about Toby?" He said, rolling his eyes. 

     "Oh. Yeah, he's very alive. He kinda tried to kill me. I don't think he remembers us though. I mean, I guess he remembers us since he didn't like...y'know...kill me," you reply with a shrug. 

     "Toby's alive," Kye said, looking at you.

     "Yup," you responded nodding. 

     "Like actually alive. Like you and me," he asked, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he has a doubtful look in his eyes.

     "Well fuck. I sure hope so or we have a bigger problem on our hands," you said, turning in your seat to face him. He chuckles as he runs a hand through his hair. 

     "How the hell..." He starts to say before trailing off, burying his head in his hands. He sighs before looking back at you.

     "I don't know. Uhm. Can I stay at your place for a while?" You asked, gently taking one of his hands into your own. 

     "Of course," he says, giving your hand a squeeze before letting go. He turns back towards the front and pulls out of the parking space. 

He starts driving. After a few minutes, you pass by a residential area. The houses begin to turn to different shops as you reach the downtown area. Kye turns down a street that seems like it's in the center of the downtown area.

     "Where are we going?" You asked, glancing over at him. 

     "Don't worry about that, love. It's a surprise," he said. You roll your eyes as you start to smile. It's his usual playful teasing, something the both of you have done for a long time.

    "Whatever you say, pretty boy," you replied with a smirk. He quickly glances over at you blushing. 

     "Shut up," he muttered as you laughed at his reaction.