Chapter Fourteen: Everything Is Broken But My Heart

Scaramouche's words sink in and I fall to my knees.

Heizou is...

Dead?

No.

No.

NO.

"YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO PROTECT HIM!" I shout. "SO MANY PEOPLE ASKED YOU TO PROTECT HIM!"

I begin to ugly cry, my heart feeling like it's been ripped from my chest.

"Kuni, I tried. I'm not a seer, I didn't know what would happen." Scaramouche reasons.

"That doesn't matter. You fucking got him killed....you got my boyfriend killed." I say, almost choking on my words.

"Well, now you're both dead, so, is it really that big of a loss?" Scaramouche asks.

"I wanted him to die when he's older, after living a fulfilling life and dying peacefully, satisfied with what he'd done with his life. I didn't want him to get fucking murdered. Not like I did." I whisper.

Scaramouche closes his eyes and sighs.

"But you know what?" I say sharply. "I am not going to get mad at you. I am going to go find this fucking killer and kick the shit out of them. I refuse to blame you. I refuse to become one of those main characters in a murder mystery story that causes more people to die because they jumped to conclusions. It's not your fault." I say, slowly calming down.

Heizou might be dead, but I'm dead too, so now we can be together forever.

Scara smiles.

"See, you're just as smart as Heizou was." He says.

Suddenly, my eyes fly open.

"What happened to Ayaka?" I ask, realizing that she was with Heizou.

"I don't know. I never found her body like I did Heizou, so she might be okay. But I did find her jacket and it was covered with blood, so she also might not be okay...." Scara trails off.

I jump to my feet.

"We have to find her. For my own sanity's sake, I have to get at least one of us out alive." I say.

Scaramouche nods.

As we attempt to navigate the maze of a building, I pepper Scara with questions.

"What happened to Childe? Is he okay?" I ask.

"He's fine. The only thing I'm concerned about with him is that he might be enjoying this a bit too much." Scara says.

"Also how the heck did you find me?" I ask.

"We aren't very far from where we initially split up. It wasn't that hard." Scara says.

"I wanted to tell Heizou about this, but I kinda can't. Can I tell you about what I found?" I ask.

Scaramouche nods.

I take the paper out of my pocket and unfold it.

"I found this layout of the house in that sticker banquet hall place. It has the symbol of the Shogunate at the bottom corner. I think that means whoever our killer was worked or works for mother." I say.

"Maybe...or it could be someone who stole that paper from mother at some point." Scara says.

"Well, when I came across our killer recently, they said I know who they are, but I didn't recognize their voice." I say.

Scaramouche shoots me a look.

"Do you honestly think that our killer could have escaped the police for four years by not changing their voice in some way?" He asks.