Hangout

The next day I woke up feeling rather energized. Either the sugar rush from the cherry cobbler the previous night hadn't worn off, or I was finally getting used to the futon mat and was able to sleep comfortably. As I stood up, I felt this strange ache in my back, so I twisted slightly. I sighed with disappointment as the sound of five consecutive pops reached my ears and my back started to feel slightly better.

'Yup, it's definitely the cobbler.'

I walked to the dining room where mom was eating some scrambled eggs. Upon seeing my entrance, she slightly waved, not speaking until she swallowed her food. "Good morning, sweetheart! You look.. oddly awake." I laughed bitterly, grabbing a bowl and some cereal and sitting down to eat. "If you're hoping the wannabe sleeping bag of a bed that we use here in Japan is the cause then you are sorely mistaken."

Mom laughed loudly, "I know what you mean. One of these days I'm going to crack my back and one of the neighbors will think a tree fell down." She took a sip of some coffee and I nodded, taking a bite of food. "It's only a matter of time." I was able to make myself some tea and drink it before getting ready for school. 

I put on the same outfit from the day before and packed my bag. On my way out, mom stopped me by the door and handed me a bento box. "You almost forgot your lunch. Have a good day at school!" I nodded, taking the container and walking off. "Have a good day at work!" 

I followed the same route to school but I ran into a small issue. There was a flock of girls surrounding a tall man wearing mostly black clothes. 'Uh oh..' I thought, not really knowing what to do. 'That's Jotaro. I didn't know he also walked this way. I guess I just came to school too early yesterday to notice.' 

Taking a deep breath, I tried making my way past the crowd without traveling off the sidewalk. Unfortunately, some of the other girls noticed me. "Hey, you're that transfer student. What do you think you're doing here? Trying to steal Jojo away from me?" Another girl joined in. "You mean, take him away from me." The two of them started arguing with each other and I took a small step away from them.

'All this over a guy? Are they crazy? He looks like he hates them.' Suddenly, Jotaro shouted loudly, "BE QUIET! YOU'RE ALL SO ANNOYING!" The gaggle went still and quiet. I took my opportunity and made it passed them before there was a bunch of shrill screams of, "AHH HE SAID THAT TO ME!"

"NO HE SAID THAT TO ME!" 

"AHHH I LOVE YOU, JOJO!"

I was royally pissed off at that point. "Masochists, the lot of them." I grumbled softly as I finally made my way through the school gates. Walking down the stairs, I could still hear the girls who had started at it again, fighting each other for Jotaro's attention. 

I did my best to ignore them as I strolled into the classroom where only a few others were. I sat down at my desk (thankfully the seating chart remained the same) and groaned in irritation as Mr. Popular himself walked in followed by some of the girls who shared our class. 

"This is how it's going to be everyday, isn't it." I mumbled, opening up my notebook and textbook. Mr. Kaikodo walked in a few minutes later to begin class. Like yesterday, the lectures and lessons went by slowly. I felt bored so I looked out the window at the pretty scenery. I began to think of how mom was doing. She would be at work right now, or only just arriving. 

She had a job as a music arranger, which meant that she would take pieces of written music and almost reconstruct it to sound somewhat new. She described it to me as, "Rewriting a song to give a different or more powerful meaning." 

She was right about it too. I've heard her play recomposed songs and they can be absolutely gorgeous. Mom was a wiz on the piano and guitar and sometimes adding in extra notes or even changing the main key could take a happy song and make it sad.