1 | FIRST MISSION

"She's hot !" Denji's wide eyes ogled me up and down, then stopping insistently on my chest before his face fell and his tongue sticks out of his mouth in disappointment. "Meh."

"This b-" my fists clenched, before the door suddenly opened, revealing Makima. Everyone turns around in automatic silence, as if the very presence of the young woman naturally arouses respect and attention, all eyes on her as if she were the most important person in the room.

Makima settles into her seat, crossing her legs as she rests her chin on the palm of her hand, her usual smile on her face. "You probably met her before I arrived, but let me introduce you to [y/n]. I would like her to be part of the Special Division 4."

Aki crosses his arms, looking annoyed as he realizes he's potentially going to be responsible for a new bum. "Where is that one from ?"

"[y/n] is a distant relative of Kishibe, who trained her hard to become a Devil Hunter."

Power and Denji let out a gasp of surprise, their eyes glancing at me as I can't help but crack a smirk, feeling my ego swell as my prowess draws the attention of my comrades.

Aki arches an eyebrow at Makima's words, looking intrigued. "Why isn't she affiliated with Special Division 1 along with Kishibe ?"

"He got fed up with her and sent her to me, claiming she would be useful to Special Division 4." I can't help but roll my eyes, digging my hands into my pockets. This old man is going to regret having rejected me, I'll kill him when I find him.

"That doesn't sound really professional to me." Power's whispers to Denji reach my ears, as I scoff irritably, glaring at her.

"Let's not waste our time." Makima seems to be looking for a file in a drawer of his desk, before placing it on the flat surface, inviting us to retrieve it. "A devil has been spotted in a remote part of town. You can read the file on the way."

Aki nods, collecting the papers, before walking out of the room without adding anything more, followed by Power and Denji. I'm about to join them, when I hear my name slip between the lips of the young woman.

"Impress me."

𓆩*𓆪

Sitting on the hood of the car, cheek crushed against my fist, I heave yet another sigh in the face of the incessant adventures of Denji, who has decided to get to know each other – in other words, narrate a whole monologue about his past. Noting my boredom, Kobeni, the owner of the car and my colleague, gave up the idea of ​​making me get off the hood. I glance in the direction of Aki, leaning against a lamppost, silently smoking his cigarette as if we weren't on a mission. And yet, the devil is nowhere to be found.

A wind of fog arises out of nowhere, blurring our view as I raise an arm in front of my eyes to shield them from the force of the movement. My narrowed gaze falls on the gigantic silhouette that forms in the dissipating mist, and I feel my throat go dry.

Now, if I'm being totally honest, I've technically never fought a devil in my entire life. Although Kishibe trained me throughout my childhood to become a Devil Hunter, the most dangerous creatures I had to face weren't the size of a truck.

Denji and Power walk forward in an almost unnatural silence, before they both strike a heroic pose. The Fiend rests her hands on her sides, her chin up and a petty look on her face, while the young man beside her crosses his arms nonchalantly, a small smirk.

"What should we do, Denji ?"

"How do I know ? I'm dumb too."

I slowly turn my head towards the brunette, unsurprisingly noticing his decapitated expression at the idiocy of his partners. The devil suddenly roars, interrupting any crappy performance, as the seriousness resurfaces within the group. After all, I'm the one being tested today.