#2 - Virgil van Dijk

This one is a request for FootyFan2022 - thank you so much for your request, I hope you like it! I apologise for it taking so long, my laptop broke and I was only just managed to get it fixed :/ 

~

As soon as Virgil's penalty was saved you knew he would beat himself up, regardless of whether the Netherlands progressed to the next round over Argentina. But when Argentina scored their winning penalty, you spotted Virgil immediately sink to the floor. You could tell he was devastated.

You headed out of the stadium and round to the area where the players would be meeting their families after the game. Before long, Virgil and the other members of the Netherlands national team were heading out, looks of defeat on all of their faces.

"Virg?" You said softly, as he approached you.

You pulled him into your arms, burying your head in his chest in an attempt to comfort him. His strong arms wrapped around you, and you felt him sigh as he rested his head on top of yours.

"I can't believe I messed it up so badly." He said, his voice barely above a whisper.

"You can't talk like that. You had a great game. You took a good penalty too, you were just unlucky – Martinez made a great save. You helped the team get this far – you can't beat yourself up." You told him.

"If I scored my penalty, then maybe-" You cut Virgil off by kissing him.

"Forget maybes. Think about it, the Netherlands didn't make the last World Cup. But in this one, you made the quarter finals. With you as the captain. That's a tremendous achievement Virgil. And there'll be more opportunities. Now, you return to Liverpool, and fight to get our season back on track. And after tonight, I just know you're gonna be amazing." You said.

"You always know what to say." Virgil said, giving you the faintest hint of a smile.

"I know, I'm great." You teased.

"You seriously are. Thank you for making me feel better." And with that, Virgil leaned down to place a soft kiss on your lips.

"You're welcome. Now, it looks like your teammates are all heading for the bus." You observed.

"You're right, I think that's my cue to go." Virgil said.

He leant down to give you a hug, wrapping you in his warm arms.

"I'll see you later." You said.

"See you (Y/N)." Virgil replied.

He headed for the team bus, and you waved after him as he boarded. You continued waving until the bus pulled away from the stadium, and drove firmly out of sight.