𝐧𝐨𝐰.

present day

the king of curses had no weaknesses. chin resting against his palm, sukuna ryomen sat atop his throne of bones in boredom. his vessel was out playing once again with the loud-mouthed girl and megumi. the three of them were out shopping, and sukuna didn't have much of a choice but to listen to their useless squabble.

"ne, ne, let's go into that shop over there!" nobara exclaimed excitedly.

"aww, i'm hungry though. can we get some food first?" yuji whined.

megumi merely rolled his eyes at the two. he stayed quiet by itadori's side.

"fine," nobara replied, "but we're going into that store right after!"

sukuna tapped a finger against his cheek. these brats had no care in the world. they were lucky. did they realize that? deep down, a part of him envied the boy, and a hazy memory began to resurface.

"hey let's try some of these!" yuji shouted over the crowded streets.

the three of them bought some, thanked the vendor, and continued towards the other stalls.

"oh look, they're selling chocolate covered fruit," nobara tugged on yuji's arm.

sukuna's lips tightened, his eyebrows pinched and furrowed. fruit?

"i want some grapes and bananas," nobara gave her order.

even megumi pitched in. "could i have one of those apples, please."

"hey, hey, wait!" yuji quickly skimmed the table indecisively. his eyes latched onto a little bowl of strawberries towards the the back behind the other fruit.

"can i have the stra–"

"not those brat," sukuna's voice echoed inside the boy's mind.

"what, why not?"

the curse scoffed and clenched his teeth. "i said no."

"boo, you're no fun. i'm gonna get them anywa–"

"i'll kill you," sukuna interrupted frustratedly.

"you can't," yuji retorted. "i'm your vessel, and without me you can't get your body back, duh."

"then i'll take over and kill the girl."

"i won't let you. besides, i don't get it. why are you getting so worked up? over fruit, too."

the king sat still. "it's none of your business kid. you can have anything else, just not those."

"alright, fine."

yuji's companions didn't seem to notice the inner-monologue he was having. choosing another snack off the cart, the three of them continued on with their shopping. it wasn't until later when yuji was alone and getting ready for bed did he dare talk to sukuna again.

"hey, what was up with you earlier? do you have a thing against strawberries or something?"

sukuna's nails dug into his flesh, hard enough to draw blood. he thought the brat had gotten it through his thick skull not to question him on the matter anymore. it seemed he hadn't.

"something like that," the curse muttered.

"were strawberries even around when you were like alive, alive, and had a body?"

"i had them once," was all he said.

"and what? don't like the taste of them?" yuji asked innocently.

a girl's laugh played like a haunted lullaby in the curse's ear. a pretty, little smile danced its way into sukuna's vision. the king thrashed his head around in agony, hands suddenly pulling at his hair.

"stop," he commanded himself. "i don't want to remember."

images of you, and that summer flashed through his mind. in particular, the day when he first kissed you. your lips stained from strawberry juice, so much so, that it was all he tasted.

"hey, are you there?"

"no," sukuna spit out bitterly.

the king of curses was invincible. he had no weaknesses.

how could he when you were gone?