Chapter 11

"Guys guess what I did yesterday?!" Venti exclaimed to everyone when they were on break.
  "Uh, what?" Kunikuzushi asked.
  "I got a tattoo!!!" Venti put his hands on his hips dramatically.
  "Oooh! Show us!!" Heizou stood up excitedly.
  Venti turned around and pulled his hair out of the way. On the back of his neck was a tattoo of a pair of wings. "It's just a little one, but I'm really happy with it!"
  Everyone crowded around to see.
  "Xiao was gonna get one with us, but he chickened out," Venti stuck his tongue out at him.
  Xiao rolled his eyes, "I already have one and it got finished recently."
  "Are tattoos allowed?" Kunikuzushi asked.
  "There isn't a rule against them," Venti pointed out.
  "Well if Xiao has one he has to show us!" Heizou pointed at Xiao as if accusing him of a crime.
  Xiao rolled up his right sleeve. His arm was barren and there was nothing there.
  "Hm???" Everyone tilted their heads in confusion.
  "Turn the light off and you'll see," Xiao smiled.
  Aether hurried across the room and flicked the light switch off.
  The moment the lights were out, Xiao's arm began to glow. He had a sleeve of intertwining lines up his arm and over his shoulder.
  "Woah!" Heizou's face lit up, "you guys are making me want one!!!"
  Venti laughed, "it's so cool, right?! I just don't think I have the pain tolerance for a whole sleeve, Ahaha..."
  Aether turned the lights on and returned to the group.
  Xiao pulled his shirt sleeve back down, "are tattoos not allowed at your company, Kuni?"
  Kunikuzushi shook his head, "no, they're allowed as long as they aren't visible. I've got one, too."
  "Show us! Show us! Show us!" Venti, Heizou, and Aether chanted.
  Kazuha chuckled, "now I'm curious, too. What kind of tattoo is it?"
  Kunikuzushi shrugged, "I'm not even sure what to call it. Nahida helped me come up with the design. If I was going to get a tattoo I wanted it to mean something." He unzipped his sweater and set it down. Then he turned around and pulled his shirt off.
  Everyone else immediately looked over at Kazuha to see his reaction.
  Kazuha only glared at them, mouthing, "what?!" His cheeks got warm because everyone expected him to freak out. He wasn't about to give them what they wanted!!!
  Then everyone focused on what was on Kunikuzushi's back.
  Just below his shoulder blades and down his back were what seemed to be several aux ports. They all looked unused and broken. It was very cool to look at, to say the least.
  "How long did that take???" Venti asked, as he inspected it with his eyes.
  "Uhhh, I think just about three or so hours?" Kunikuzushi shrugged, "I don't really remember. I was asleep for most of it."
  "Huh?! How do you sleep through something so painful?!" Heizou exclaimed.
  Kunikuzushi chuckled, "it wasn't that bad. And I was tired." He smiled over his shoulder, "I let the artist take a few liberties, too. Do you see the faint lines in between my vertebras? It's supposed to resemble a motherboard."
  Everyone got closer to see.
  "Oh yeah! I can hardly make them out! How'd they get the lines so thin?!" Venti asked curiously.
  "I honestly don't know, they thought it would look cool and they were right," Kunikuzushi said with a smile. "I'm guessing Heizou and Aether don't have any tattoos."
  Heizou shook his head, "there's no way I could sit still for that long..."
  Aether smiled nervously, "I don't like needles..."
  Kunikuzushi nodded, "that's fair," then pulled his shirt back over his head. "What about you, Kazuha?"
  "Huh? Oh- me?" Kazuha pulled himself back to reality. He had been internally dying at seeing Kunikuzushi shirtless. Beidou was definitely going to tease the life out of him for this!!! "Ah, no, I don't have any... I'd like to get one, but I don't want to go by myself... and I don't even know what I would get. Like you, Kuni, I would want it to be something meaningful."
  Kunikuzushi's nodded again as he turned around to face everyone, "exactly."
  "Venti, who'd you get a tattoo with if Xiao ditched you???" Heizou asked.
  "I didn't ditch," Xiao frowned, "I was moral support. Venti cried like a baby."
  "I did not!" Venti pouted. "And I got a matching tattoo with Outis, my friend who's always in the hospital. That's why I was in such a hurry to leave yesterday! I was going to be late for our appointment, haha!"
  "That's very cute," Aether smiled. "I might be able to suffer through getting a tattoo if I were matching with someone... My sister has a few tattoos and so does our roommate."
  "Really??? Your sister has tattoos???" Venti blinked.
  "Is that surprising?..." Aether smiled nervously.
  "Yeah, I thought she was the sweet and innocent type," Heizou put his chin in his hand to think.
  Aether laughed very nervously, "don't get me wrong, she's really kind... just not the innocent or sweet part..."
  "So she's more of a tough love girl?" Venti laughed, "I wouldn't have expected that!"
  "What tattoos does she have?" Kunikuzushi asked.
  "She's got a flower over here," Aether pointed to his temple. "And she's got a few on her ankles. And I think she has one on her lower back, but I've only seen glimpses and I don't really wanna ask..."
  "But aren't you two close?" Kazuha asked.
  Aether held his hands up, "well, yeah, but she's never showed me so I thought it might be something personal..."
  Kunikuzushi held his hand out, "if you're squeamish at getting a tattoo, have you ever considered henna?"
  Aether tilted his head, "hm?"
  "It's like... It's like getting a semi-permanent tattoo that doesn't hurt and fades away over time. Nahida does it for fun. She mostly decorated hands and arms, but you can get it done anywhere."
  "Oh really?" Aether smiled, "that sounds perfect. Text me and remind me later."
  Kunikuzushi nodded, "are we about ready to get back to working, then?"
——————
  Kazuha sighed heavily as he stepped out onto the balcony. He needed to confess, but he didn't know if he had the strength to do so...
  He still had so many doubts and questions. He felt so worried that his words would come out wrong and he'd ruin everything!
  Kunikuzushi took a deep breath in, soaking in the atmosphere. After all the rain, everything felt so clean. And he felt so much better after he had gotten the truth off his chest yesterday.
  Kazuha stood beside him, putting his hands on the cold metal rail. "I'm surprised we finished in time to see the sunset..."
  Kunikuzushi chuckled, "it's beautiful. I haven't actually seen the sun set in a while. It's funny how such a simple thing can be so pretty."
  Kazuha smiled, "it's nice to just watch time go by every once in a while..."
  "Yeah..." Kunikuzushi sighed with contentment.
  "Hey, Kuni, can I ask you something?" Kazuha looked over at him.
  "Go ahead," Kunikuzushi leaned on the rails.
  "The person I like... I want to tell them how I feel... but I don't know the best way to do it."
  "Hm??? Why ask me? Haven't you been in tons of relationships???" Kunikuzushi blinked in surprise.
  "Not- not tons... just a few... And in almost all of them the other party was the one who made the first move... The one time I did the confessing it was a complete mess." Kazuha put his face in his hands, "I don't want another disaster like that..."
  "Woah. What the heck happened?"
  Kazuha sighed, "when I told them that I liked them, they thought it was a joke... and when I told them I was being serious they got all confused and had me come up with thirty reasons why I liked them..."
  "Oh. Well... Uh, since I don't know who you like I can't guarantee that won't happen again... But I think telling them is better than letting your feelings fester, right? That's why Hanahaki was come up with, too? To scare people into coming out with their feelings?"
  Kazuha paused, "I guess you're right... I guess I'm lucky it isn't actually real. I'd be long dead, haha..."
  Kunikuzushi chuckled, "I feel a little bad for you, though. You're overthinking it. If they've been flirting with you then they definitely like you back, right? So why not just go for it?! If they think you're just messing around then kiss them to show 'em you're serious!" He laughed, "that'd leave them with no room to doubt you!"
  "HUHH?!?! No- No way! I can't do that!!!" Kazuha's face got incredibly red. "That's way too far! I mean! We've hardly even held hands!!!!"
  Kunikuzushi laughed, "okay, okay! Don't kiss them! Hmmmm maybe..." He sighed, "Nevermind, that's all I've got. I have no idea what people do when they're in love, and I doubt all the books I've read are all that accurate..."
  Kazuha sighed quietly, trying to stop his heart from beating right out of his chest. "My first plan was to just simply say I like them, but I feel like that isn't convincing enough..."
   "But it's the truth, right? What more could they want?"
  Kazuha shook his head, "I don't know... Plan B is to write them a love letter... Plan C is... well, begging them to consider going out with me..."
  Kunikuzushi laughed, "why do you have so many plans? If they don't believe you, they've probably got some issues they need to sort out. Unhealthy people shouldn't be in relationships, right?"
  Kazuha slowly looked up at him. "That isn't true at all..."
  "Huh?"
  "Sometimes a relationship is exactly what an unhealthy person needs." Kazuha looked down at his hands, "I mean, I haven't smoked since we started talking... and I haven't seen you touch a cigarette in a while, either..."
  Kunikuzushi nodded, closing his eyes, "you're right... I had just assumed that if someone had unresolved problems it would make being romantically involved with someone impossible..."
  "Why?... I- I don't mean to pry, I'm just curious..." Kazuha clasped his hands together.
  "Well... If you have a problem or a secret it's gonna make it hard for you to be super open with your partner, right?"
  Kazuha nodded, "sometimes. But if you look at it another way, having a partner gives you an opportunity to get close to someone to the point where you feel safe enough to be open with them about your struggle." He smiled.
  Kunikuzushi hesitated. "I see..."
  Kazuha giggled, "we just got so off topic. I guess just telling them how I feel really is the best way... But it just makes me so nervous."
  "If you already know they like you, then what do you have to fear?" Kunikuzushi chuckled.
  Kazuha shook his head, "I don't even know... I wish I could fast forward to when it's all done and over..."
  Kunikuzushi paused for a long moment, watching the pink sky slowly turning purple. "Kazuha, were all your previous partners as terrible as Beidou said?"
  "... She told you about that?..." Kazuha felt a little betrayed. He knew she had a hard time keeping her mouth shut, but this was...
  "Think about the person you like right now. Tell me, Kazuha, are they anything like the others?"
  Kazuha didn't know what to say. How much had Beidou told him?...
  "If they are I want you to think twice about your own feelings. They might make you feel good for a little while, but if you're going to get hurt again-"
  "They're different," Kazuha said quickly.
  Kunikuzushi slowly looked him up and down. "Are you sure?"
  "Yes. They hardly wear any perfumes... They don't smell anything like the others. I might not have the best taste or the best judgment, but I can tell they're different. He's kind and gentle... but his flirting style is a little harsh sometimes, and he's a relentless tease. But when we're alone... he's soft... and I can tell he would never hurt me on purpose. Kuni, he's a good person. No one is ever perfectly healthy, just like you said before."
  Kazuha smiled, "they've been a lot more open with me recently... It feels so selfish to say, but I think I've really been able to help them."
  Kunikuzushi chuckled, "I guess I was worried for nothing, then."
  "You were worried about me?" Kazuha felt his face heating up again.
  Kunikuzushi rolled his eyes, "Beidou told me all about how bad your taste is. Seriously, raise your standards. You're only asking for the bare minimum, man!"
  "I- I have! This person is way better than anyone else I've been with! I- I could definitely imagine marrying them and growing old together!"
  Kunikuzushi laughed, "I'm glad!"
  Kazuha got even more red.
  "You really love them, don't you? Then you should just go for it. You can't let yourself loose someone you feel so strongly about," Kunikuzushi chuckled, "that'd just be dumb right? And you might end up regretting it."
  Kazuha nodded, "I- I know! I just need to psych myself up first..."
  "Just go for it!" Kunikuzushi laughed, "you're just telling them how you feel, it's not like you're presenting an essay!"
  Kazuha swallowed hard, "right... uhm..."
  "I don't really think I have any more advice to give," Kunikuzushi chuckled, "I've never been in your place before, so that's all I've got. Good luck, though." He reached for the door, "I'm rooting for you."
  "Ah- wait!"
  "What?" He turned partway around.
  Kazuha froze. He just had to say a simple sentence. That wasn't so hard... But then the "what if"s started to fill his mind again. He couldn't do this!
  "Can I see your tattoo again?" Kazuha blurted out a random excuse.
  Kunikuzushi blinked, then he rolled his eyes. "You made it sound like it was something urgent." He turned his back to Kazuha before pulling his shirt up to his shoulders.
  Kazuha was very glad that Kunikuzushi couldn't see how embarrassed he was. His face felt like it was melting off!!!
  "What's, uh, what's the meaning behind it?" Kazuha asked, committing to this excuse. Plus, it wasn't like he didn't want to know...
  "So, you know how what content you take in is going to affect you as a person? Like if you listen to music with a lot of curse words you're gonna start cursing more?"
  Kazuha nodded as he stepped closer to get a better look.
  "I got this tattoo after I left HARBINGERS. It's sort of symbolic to represent that I cut off that part of myself... kinda... Nahida is a lot better at explaining it." He laughed nervously.
  "No, I understand..." Kazuha reached his hand out. Then he hesitated. Kunikuzushi probably wouldn't appreciate being touched... But Kazuha didn't know how to continue the conversation, either.
  Kunikuzushi gazed over his shoulder, "don't sound so sad about it. It's gone now and everything is fine."
  "You don't sound too convinced," Kazuha whispered, avoiding looking Kunikuzushi in the face.
  Kunikuzushi looked back towards the door. "I'm getting better. Some people are just hard to get along with."
  Kazuha laughed quietly, "of course you'd say that."
  "Hey! It's true!" Kunikuzushi turned to face him as he let his shirt fall back down.
  Kazuha abruptly looked to the side in embarrassment. He hadn't realized how close he had gotten... And he'd seen a glimpse of Kunikuzushi's midriff... which looked impossibly smooth and sparkly...
  Kazuha held his hands up nervously, "I'm not saying you're wrong... it's just very in character for you..."
  Kunikuzushi eyed him, "what's that supposed to mean?"
  Kazuha felt even worse now. "I just know you well enough to... sort of predict what you might say..."
  Kunikuzushi looked him up and down, which only made Kazuha feel more and more embarrassed. "Okay...?"
  "I- I didn't mean anything bad by it..."
  "No, I get it," he nodded, "it's just... a little weird that you know me so well when it's only been a few weeks since we met..."
  "Is it? I mean, we talk about everything," Kazuha laughed.
  Kunikuzushi paused, "I guess..."
  "You've been so open with me, I even held you in my arms," Kazuha wore a big smile as he held his arm out.
  "Don't say that like it's some big achievement!" Kunikuzushi started to feel embarrassed.
  Kazuha laughed, "but it is, isn't it? I'm helping you get healthier. One step at a time."
  Kunikuzushi shook his head, "I guess you're right..."
  Kazuha smiled wide, "I'm glad I can help."
  "Well, thanks," Kunikuzushi turned and opened the door.
  Kazuha followed him back inside. He knew he should just get it over with... but he didn't want to ruin the mood. Waiting a little bit longer couldn't hurt, right?
  Right?...
——————
  "You seem to be in a good mood," Nahida smiled.
  Kunikuzushi nodded as he buckled in, "I am. Oh, I didn't get to tell you yesterday because you weren't home, but Kazuha *doesn't* have a crush on me!"
  Nahida blinked, "he doesn't?..."
  "Nope! He said the person he likes has been flirting with him and they probably like him back!" Kunikuzushi sighed in relief, "I was so worried about nothing."
  "Darn it," Miko sighed from the front seat, "you two would have been so cute together..."
  "I thought so, too..." Ei nodded from the passenger seat.
  "Okay, is this just going to be a normal thing now?! Everyone picking me up and eavesdropping?!"
  Nahida giggled, "they aren't eavesdropping, they're contributing to the conversation."
  Kunikuzushi groaned, "sure they are..."
  "Poor Kazuha doesn't know what he's missing out on," Miko sighed again.
  "I'm sorry, excuse me?!" Kunikuzushi sat forward.
  Nahida put a hand on his arm, gently pulling him back, "that's dangerous, she's driving."
  "Yeah, I'm driving," Miko smiled innocently.
  "But what did you mean by that?!" Kunikuzushi refused to sit back.
  "I think Miko meant that Kazuha was missing out because you're so kind," Ei smiled, wholeheartedly believing this.
  "As if," Kunikuzushi folded his arms and leaned back.
  Miko laughed, "I'm only saying that he's blind not to fall for you! Has he ever looked you in the face?!"
  Kunikuzushi sighed, shaking his head, "what the heck... and he look at my face a lot. Well, whenever I'm not looking directly at him. I don't think he likes eye contact, but I always see him in my peripherals looking at me."
  Miko shuffled a laugh, "pffftttt-"
  "What?!"
  Nahida gently put her hand in front of Kunikuzushi to calm him down. She smiled, "it's hard to believe Kazuha's crush is one someone else. But if you think so, then I believe you, Kuni."
  "Gee, thanks," he rolled his eyes. "Well, anyways, he's planning on making his move tomorrow."
  "Good for him!" Miko shouted.
  "That's so cute," Ei smiled, "I wasn't sure if young people still did confessions or if they just started dating."
  "Yeah, it's pretty cute," Kunikuzushi chuckled, "he gets *so* red when he talks about them, I'm surprised he's got the courage to tell them how he feels."
  "Well, maybe you gave him that courage," Nahida offered, "I know you've been encouraging him and trying to help him with this."
  Kunikuzushi nodded, beginning to blush, "maybe..."
  "Now, Kuni, don't go falling for him when he's trying to get with someone else!" Miko teased, eyeing him through the mirror.
  "Shut up! You aren't funny!"
  Ei giggled, "it's a little funny..."
  Nahida was covering her mouth, "just a little bit..."
  "Ugh," Kunikuzushi folded his arms tightly and looked out the window. He smiled despite himself. He was glad that he could be helpful to Kazuha, even if it was just with his silly little crush.
  Maybe Kunikuzushi really wasn't as bad as he thought he was...
  "He brings out the best in you," Nahida said so quietly that no one heard her.
——————
  "Beidou..."
  "Yeah?!"
  Kazuha was moaning and groaning as he stumbled into the living room.
  "What happened?" She rushed to his side.
  "I still haven't told him..." he leaned into her helplessly.
  She snorted, "come on, man. I hate to push you so hard but you gotta tell him!"
  "I know... There just wasn't a good time. I tried to tell him as we were leaving but then I froze up and couldn't do it..."
  "Don't look so down! You'll have plenty of opportunities!" Beidou pat him on the head.
  Kazuha sighed, "Beidou... I think I might be even more in love with him than before, too..."
  "Huh? Why?" She realized that Kazuha felt incredibly warm. "Are you okay???"
  Kazuha shook his head, "how can I be okay when..."
  "When???"
  Kazuha got even hotter and his face was as red as a maraschino cherry now.
  Beidou backed up and held him by his face, forcing him to look up at her. "Spill the tea, bro. What. Happened?!"
  Kazuha groaned, "you'll think I'm gross..."
  Beidou blinked, "wut?"
  Kazuha closed his eyes, "so- I- it's- Ugh, Kuni has a really cool tattoo. And it's on, like, his whole back-"
  "So you saw him without his shirt on," she nodded, "makes sense. Did he have attractive back muscles or something? I can appreciate that. It's nothing wrong to admire someone's body. I think you have a very nice face and sometimes I'm jealous that you have two very pretty eyes and I don't. See? Nothing gross about it." Beidou smiled reassuringly.
  "It's... not that... As he was turning around... I..." Kazuha somehow got ever redder.
  "Dude you are going to overheat if you don't just say it!!!" Beidou squished his cheeks.
  He closed his eyes tightly, "I saw his stomach, Beidou! He looked so soft and perfect and I don't know what to do!!!"
  Beidou blinked. "Oh. Ohhhhhh. I don't think that's gross, either?... I mean, I really like Ning's arms? She's got some really nice arms..." Beidou got a little pink, "their so smooth and they, like, glisten... I dunno how she does it, but I feel like I turn into a monkey when she doesn't wear long sleeves. I feel like I just have to feel how smooth her arms are. It's weird."
  Kazuha and Beidou stood in silence for a long moment.
  "I won't tell her if you won't tell Kuni," Kazuha said.
  "Agreed," Beidou said.
  Kazuha put his hands over his face, "I feel so awful... I wouldn't touch Kuni because I know he wouldn't like that, but it feels so wrong to even want to... L-Like you said, feel how smooth... he is..."
  "Now that I'm talking about it I'm starting to feel a little bad, too... Am I objectifying Ning by liking her smooth arms?..."
  Beidou and Kazuha stood in worried silence for a moment.
  "I don't think that's objectifying?..." Kazuha whispered.
  "I hope not..." Beidou whispered back. "But, uh, I don't think you have a whole lot to be worried about. I mean, you said you wouldn't touch him so you don't want to. That, uh, shows you care about how he feels???"
  Kazuha ran his hands down his face, "Beidou, why is being in love so complicated?! One moment I'm the happiest man alive and the next I feel like I deserve death for wanting to be with him!!!"
  "I dunno," Beidou shook her head. "One of life's many mysteries... But, anyways, uhm..."
  There was yet another moment of silence.
  "Oh, speaking of smooth things," Beidou crouched down, "I started shaving again! Feel how smooth my legs are!!!"
  "OOO!"
  Kazuha and Beidou sat down on the couch, both enjoying the softness of her freshly shaved legs.
  Then Beidou wondered out loud, "you said he looks soft?... so he didn't have any belly hair?"
  Kazuha paused, "uhm..."
  "Does he wax?!" Beidou spoke excitedly bouncing her eyebrows, "that's kinda-"
  "Stop that!" Kazuha slapped her exposed shin, "I feel bad enough already! I don't want to imagine-" He shut his mouth.
  "Imagine what, Kazuhaaaa???? Imagine whattt????" Beidou teased.
  "STOPPP!!!" He covered his face.
  "You've already seen him mostly shirtless," Beidou giggled, "you just haven't seen his boobies."
  "Beidou, pleasse-"
  "All the other people you dated had bigger chests than Kuni, so I doubt there's gonna be much to look at."
  "Beidou!!!"
  "I mean, he's worn some pretty tight shirts when he was with HARBINGERS and he was quite flat-"
  "BEIDOU!" He grabbed a pillow and smothered her with it.
  She laughed, "I'm not wrong! You can't kill me for telling the truth!!!"
  "You don't have much room to talk! Ning's not that busty, either!"
  "I've got enough for the both of us! You two have nothing between you! There has to be a balance! You can't both be bony!"
  "I'm not bony," Kazuha frowned, no longer trying to murder her.
  "What about Kuni, though? You held him."
  Kazuha thought back. "He didn't feel bony..."
  Beidou sighed, "that brings me to my final question..."
  Kazuha grew tense. "I'm ready," he nodded, as if prepared to go to war.
  "Do he got the booty?!?!"
  "Uhm I... haven't... checked..." Kazuha looked away.
  "HUH?! YOU HAVEN'T?! But that's so important!!!!"
  "There are other things to look at! Like his pretty face! That's a better thing to look at!!!"
  "Come on, think about it!"
  "But what do you qualify as... that...?"
  "Hmmm, I guess," Beidou paused to think. "If he were to do a little shake, would it jiggle?"
  Kazuha covered his face again, "how am I supposed to answer that..."
  Beidou laughed, "on a scale of 0 to 10 how jiggly would it be???"
  Kazuha snorted, "I dunno, and I doubt my imagination is accurate..."
  "I guess we'll just have to make him play Just Dance with us, haha! Omg we have to see who is the better dancer between you two!!!"
  Kazuha laughed, "obviously Kuni! He's been an idol for way longer and has done all sorts of choreography!"
  "0 TO 10 KAZUHA! ZERO TO TEN! STAY FOCUSED!"
  "UH- UHM- I DUNNO?! FIVE?! How jiggly is ten?!?!"
  "Hmmm, I think I'm a ten... Ning is like a four. You're... uh maybe a seven???"
  Kazuha blinked, "a seven?"
  Beidou shrugged, "I dunno, give me a lil shake."
  Kazuha stood up and gave her "a lil shake".
  "I don't think you would actually-"
  "It's for science!" Kazuha sat back down.
  Beidou snorted, "yeah, you're like a seven-ish. I don't have an example for every number yet so I gotta go with the flow. Gut feelings. What's your gut tell you Kuni is?"
  "Uhm..."
  "My gut says a six. That's not too bad," she nodded.
  "Isn't this a weird thing to talk about?..." Kazuha sighed.
  "Only if you make it weird," Beidou shrugged.
  "Oh." Kazuha blinked, "oh, I guess you're right..."
"Talking about anything is normal until you make it weird," she stated.
  "Sometimes, Beidou, you're really smart."
  "Aw, thanks!"