Chapter 3- Meeting Him

Y/N POV:

Sunday- 4:50 AM

Honestly, I don't understand what's happening. First I get pulled into a tunnel by a damn portrait, then I see an alive-dead guy, and now I'm hired as a treasury assistant at a palace? I pace in my room, engrossed in my train of thoughts.

It's not like I wanted to come here in the first place. Maybe if I just sleep it off, I'll wake up at the library and realize it was all just a weird dream.

I tuck myself into bed and before I knew it, sleep overtook me.

~~~

12:24 PM

"Ma'am? Wake up, please. It's time for lunch," a woman's voice says, gently shaking me.

I open my eyes and see a woman who I've never seen in my life before. I get up, rubbing my eyes.

"Ma'am, it's time for lunch. Please, get dressed," she says.

"Who... Who are you," I ask.

"I was ordered to ensure that you felt at home during your stay here."

I blink at her with a sluggish expression.

"I am your maid, ma'am," she says.

"Oh, please, don't call me ma'am. You don't need to be so formal. I'm probably younger than you are," I smile, chuckling. She nods without smiling or saying anything.

"I have left your dress on your chair. Please ring the bell if you require my assistance. I will take my leave." The maid bows and quickly leaves.

"T-Thank you!" I call out.

I pick up the dress from my chair. It's gorgeous and like nothing I have ever worn before. The dress is topped with a flower-designed, transparent material and white silk under it. There is elastic around the waist area to give a curvy look.

The dress:

I look in the mirror and see a line of drool on my cheeks

I look in the mirror and see a line of drool on my cheeks. How embarrassing. I wipe the drool and think to myself why I fell asleep in the first place. Then I remembered. I was trying to wake up from my dream. But I'm still here. So that wasn't a dream. I actually did get a job as the treasury's assistant and I saw the dead prince... but he's alive here.

I quickly get changed and head out. I actually have no idea where I'm going, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I just have to get to the dining room, which will obviously be on the bottom floor.

While I think about the location, I get distracted by other thoughts. Maybe I got hit by the portrait in the library and went into a coma. So I'm making all this shit up in my head. Or maybe I took a nap in my dream and still haven't woken up because there is absolutely no way this is real.

As I am about to head out the door, I bump into someone, causing me to trip over my dress and lose my balance. But a pair of arms caught me just before I could fall.

"I'm so sorry. I wasn't looki-" I stop talking as soon as I see who I bumped into. The one and only Felix Lee.

What was I supposed to do in this situation? Was I supposed to fall at his feet and ask for his forgiveness? Or should I just say "sorry" and leave?

"Mind your step next time," Felix says, with a cold expression. He's even more beautiful now that I'm staring at him face-to-face.

"M- my- my apologies," I stumble.

Felix stares at me, observing my face, and finally says, "I hear you're the new treasury assistant."

Oh my gosh, he's talking to me! "Yup! That's me," I nervously laugh. "H- how did you know?"

"Words get around here fast."

"I see..." I nervously chuckle. I continue smiling like a fool while he blankly stared at me. We both silently stare at each other with awkwardness taking over the air.

"I'll see how well you do. I'm the best mathematician in this whole country. Let alone the whole continent if you please," he scoffs. Is he being serious? I didn't know the prince was so cocky and so full of himself.

"Ah, well, I'll let you know, I'm the most knowledgeable woman in my country. I've won many, many prizes," I boast. I graduated high school with a D in math. And I have never even gotten an attendance medal before. Lies after lies.

Felix rolls his eyes at me, scoffs, and walks away. Cocky much? I don't blame whoever tried to murder him.