CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Amelia & Asher

Amelia :

What day is it today? That's a great question! It's my birthday!

This birthday is important since it is my first birthday with the man I love, and I have a lot of plans to do with him.

I want to cook together and walk by the beach at night; maybe even hold hands; but most importantly, I want to hear him say "happy birthday" with that sweet smile of his. I need to see him right now.

Last week, I completed my last class with Luke before saying goodbye. I was worried because I hadn't informed Sofia of my decision, but it turned out that she was going to take him to elementary school. That made me feel relieved.

A lot has happened in the past eight months. I've met many wonderful people who genuinely care for me because of my job. My relationship with my family has changed a lot, but not with my father. Most importantly, I ran into my unrequited childhood love, who is now my fiancé.

Once I thought of him, I pulled out my phone and dialed his number. He didn't return any of my calls.

Something isn't right; he usually answers my calls right away. I grew extremely worried each time he didn't answer my calls. I decided to go to his house.

***

Asher :

I normally cook by myself in this kitchen. Today, though, I find it hard to cook for her. I have no idea what to do or what to cook. I even forgot where I placed the dishes.

She has always mentioned that she loves mac and cheese with extra cheese on top. I'll definitely make it for her. I even took half a day off and didn't mention anything to anyone.

The cooking process went as planned. I didn't make any mistakes, and everything is going smoothly.

When I finished the dish, I planned to start baking her birthday cake, but I was interrupted by the doorbell that wouldn't stop ringing.

I decided to ignore it and focus on what I was working on at the time. She always comes first in everything.

I heard a loud knocking on the door, followed by a gentle call. I recognized the voice right away. I rushed towards the door and swung it wide open.

"Amelia?" I called her name in a surprised tone.

"Seriously, Asher? Why didn't you answer my calls? I was so scared." She spoke in a worried tone.

I sighed deeply before saying, "I'm really sorry for making you worry like this." She was standing just in front of me. She was wearing the most beautiful dress I'd ever seen. She simply looked gorgeous.

I invited her in. That's when I realized I'd ruined the surprise. What should I do?

"By the way, this is my first time seeing you in pajamas, and I must say, they look great on you." She smiled at her own words, unaware of the effect her smile had on me.

"Then I'll wear them every day if that makes you love me even more." I stated that without taking my eyes away from her.

"You know I love you no matter what you're wearing." She reminded me while staring at me with her shining eyes. I was so charmed by her that I didn't understand what she said next.

She started sniffing and then said, "I smell something nice. What are you making?" That question made me think of so many answers at once, but which one should I pick? I have to face it; she'll find out later.

"Close your eyes." I whispered it softly. She hesitated for a second before closing them.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to kiss you. I still remember what your mother said." Her cheeks flushed as she heard my words.

I went to the kitchen, grabbed the mac and cheese, and returned to her. I told her to open her eyes, and when they were fully open, I said, "Happy birthday."

She was so delighted that she couldn't say anything. I set the plate on the table and took a seat in front of her.

She took the first bite and said, "This is really delicious. Just the way I like it." I was so focused in staring at her while eating that I didn't respond to her at all.

Once she was done eating, she said, "Thank you so much for everything. You have done so much for me that I don't know what to say or do to show my gratitude."

"There's no need to thank me. I'm not done yet." I said as I stood up and walked in front of her. I softly took her hand in mine and led her to the kitchen.

"It's time to start making your birthday cake." I said this, and she started laughing.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy my time with her. We spent a lot of time laughing, dancing, and cooking. The cake was ready, and it was time to blow out the candles.

"Can I ask you a favor?" She asked, hesitantly.

"Whatever you want is yours, birthday girl." She chuckled at the nickname.

Maybe I should start calling her by her nicknames more often.

"Can I record this?" She asked once again. I accepted, and she took her phone out, positioned it, and started recording. I began singing her happy birthday, and she blew out the candles. She cut the cake and then stopped recording.

"What did you wish for?" I asked, curious.

"You'll find out one day." She replied calmly and with a smile.

"Let's give it a try." She pointed to the cake. We both took the first bite at the same time.

"It's not so bad for people who didn't take it seriously, is it?" She said.

I nodded and then said, "You're right, it's not bad as our first try." We both laughed at our own words, and when we fell silent, we took a long moment to stare at each other.

She began by saying: "I don't know how to thank you enough, Asher. This is like a dream come true."

I moved in closer, then leaned in and gently placed my palm on her cheek. When we made eye contact, I said, "Just look me in the eyes and tell me how much you love me."

She started to smile, and I began to melt on the inside. She walked even closer and said, "You're the most righteous feeling I've ever had. You are everything." My eyes widened, and my heart started beating faster.

She was driving me insane just by staring at me, and now she's saying these things. I can't take this longing anymore.

She's driving me crazy, and she's well aware of it. I didn't know what to say to express my feelings to her. So I pulled her into a hug and whispered to her ear, "Thank you for being born."

...

A/N : Thank you so much for reading this chapter. I hope you enjoyed reading it. Please make sure to comment your thoughts.

Prepare yourselves for the following chapter because it will contain the event that we've all been waiting for since the story's start.

Don't forget to vote.