11

"Ladies and gentlemen, today we take not another step towards annihilation, but the first step on the path to peace." he explained, the rest of the restraints being put on both Y/n and Steve, anxiety and adrenaline filling them. "We begin with a series of microinjections into the subject major's muscle groups. the serum infusion will cause immediate cellular change. And then, to simulate growth, the subject will be saturated with vita-rays." he informed, both the victims pulling faces at the injection. "That wasn't so bad." Steve said, his face still scrunched up making Erskine chuckle. "That was penicillin." he informed, Y/n snorting which was picked up over the talkie.

"Serum infusion beginning in five, four, three, two and one." he called, the rest of the machine resting against the respective parts. The switch was pushed up, the vials containing serum emptying and both Y/n and Steve grunting. "Now, Mr stark." Erskine ordered once he heard confirmation from Peggy. Howard pulled another lever, the container now tilting so they were both upwards and the cover coming down. he knocked on the window, waiting for a response and told Peggy to do the same. "Y/n? Can you hear me?" She asked, trying to peer in but couldn't see anything. "It's probably too late to go to the bathroom, right?" they responded, earning a laugh from Erskine as Steve said the exact same thing, smirking to himself. "We will proceed." he confirmed, telling Stark.

He turned a dial before grabbing a pair of sunglasses, walking over to a wheel and twisting it. "That's ten percent. Twenty percent. Thirty. That's forty." he called, other scientists watching their stats as well as the serums. "Vital signs are normal." one confirmed as Howard continued turning it. "That's fifty, sixty and seventy." he called, Erskine looking at the container in panic as he heard Steve start to scream. "Steven!" he shouted, the walkie on the floor producing noise of what sounded like Peggy shouting Y/n's name. "Shut it down!" Peggy called, now panicking as she heard both Y/n and Steve's screams. "Shut it down!" she repeated, Erskine agreeing.

"Kill the reactor, Mr Stark! Turn it off, Kill it! Kill the reactor!" Erskine quickly ordered, Howard rushing to turn everything off. "No!" Steve shouted, everyone pausing in their tracks. "Don't! I can do this!" Steve responded, Stark heading back over to the dial to turn it again, almost fully done. Peggy ran back into Y/n's room, swearing under her breath, guilt filling her as she heard her friends' painful screams. "Y/n? You still with us?" she asked, relief filling her as she heard a 'yes!'. "Eighty, Ninety! That's one hundred!" Howard shouted, the scientists all watching in suspense. The room started sparking, scientists covering their heads as the light from the containers dimmed.

The container opened, Steve no longer the scrawny boy he was when he entered the container. He now filled the space, possibly a bit more, his arms full of muscle and his skinny chest and stomach now replaced with strong abs. "Steven. Steven." Erskine repeated, shaking him as he caught his breath. "The son of a bitch did it." Colonel mumbled as the group evacuated the booth, rushing down. Howard and Erskine carefully helped him out, Steve wobbling a bit. "I did it." he joked, the doors opening as Peggy entered with Y/n who still looked the same, their face now slightly pale and they depended on Peggy for support.

"What the..." Y/n muttered as they saw their best friend, almost like a completely new person. Peggy smirked and raised an eyebrow at her, arms crossed on her chest like she could read what they thought. "Like what you see?" she questioned, loud enough for only the two of them to hear. "Shut up, Carter. You do too." they defended as Peggy laughed, nodding at their comment. "How do you feel?" they asked as he walked over. He looked around, now seeing over Y/n's head and confused. "Taller." he responded, taking deep breaths. Peggy picked his shirt up, handing it back to him. "You look taller." they answered, staring at his chest and missing the smirk he was giving them.

"How'd you like Brooklyn now, Senator?" the colonel asked, running over before he could disappear. "I can think of some folks in Berlin who are about to get very nervous." he responded, going over to the doctor. "Congratulations, doctor." he said, Erskine thanking him and watching Fred who pulled what looked like a lighter out of his pocket, flicking it open. His eyes opened wide. He pressed the button, the booth now exploding into flames sending everyone into panic. He grabbed the last vial of Serum, Erskine seeing him. "Stop him!" he ordered, pointing at him.

He pulled his gun out, shooting Erskine twice while everyone else screamed. "Y/n!" Steve shouted, grabbing their arm before heading to Erskine. Peggy shot at Fred, only just missing him as he ran away. The pair ran to Erskine, turning him over and worried for his health. Peggy ran up the stairs, chasing after the thief. The doctor poked Steve's chest, looking between him and Y/n before closing his eyes, both of them not sure what to do. "Come on, we need to go." Steve instructed, grabbing their hand and pulling them along, up the stairs and outside. The elderly lady was led on the floor, her body cold and gun gone. Outside stood Peggy, the gun in her hand at her side as the car behind her roared with flames.

Up the road, Fred had just gotten into a yellow taxi and drove back down the street, Steve and Y/n looking at each other knowingly. It headed towards Peggy who shot multiple times, all going through the windshield yet missing the man. "Peggy!" Y/n shouted, Steve tackling her to the ground before she could be hit by the car. "I had him!" she groaned, Y/n helping Steve and Peggy up before nodding at Steve. "Sorry!" he apologised, wasting no time in running after the car, Y/n right beside him. The two were quite confused - Steve had noticeably changed, his muscles enlarged and everything he lacked in before now way better than average. Y/n hadn't changed at all, their body still the same, but their abilities were practically the same as Steve's.

"This way!" Steve instructed, turning down a corner and watching the cab through the alleys as they both sprinted down, trying to catch up with him. "Steve watch out!" Y/n tried to warn and flinched as it was too late, Steve smashing through the window of the bridal store, apologizing profusely. "I'm sorry!" he shouted, catching back up with Y/n and heading through an alley. Y/n's face dropped as they saw the gate, Steve not stopping. "Trust me!" he shouted as he jumped over, Y/n not faltering and yelling as they jumped, waiting for them to land on the floor but landing on their feet instead, slightly wobbling. "Follow me." he instructed, running up a car before jumping between them, doing parkour before landing right on top of the cab, Y/n with him after a few seconds.

The car swerved as he desperately tried to get the two soldiers off, not caring if he hit anyone in the process. He tried shooting through the roof, Steve pulling Y/n to his side so they could swap, him dodging the bullets instead. "Steve!" they shouted as he fell down, hanging onto the car door and moving back as he tried to shoot through the open window. He was too distracted by Steve, he didn't see the oncoming traffic, smashing into another vehicle and the yellow car tilting. Steve pushed himself off the car, bringing Y/n with him as the car rolled, somehow landing the right way up.

Fred crawled out, clutching his gun in his hand. He fired, the crowd that had gathered screaming and disbursing. Steve picked up the car door that had flung off, using it as a shield to stop the bullets from hitting him or Y/n. They ran over as they saw him pick up an innocent child who was flinging his limbs around trying to get out and the parents pleaded to get him back. He ran down the alley the pair ducking just in time before he shot, missing them. He disappeared into the building, holding a gun to the boy's head as they both came round the corner.

"Wait, don't! Don't!"