Against the Tide

As the sun set on New Year's Eve, Kanoa, a young selkie princess, sat on the rocky shore, staring out at the ocean with a heavy heart. She knew that she couldn't marry Mano, the cruel selkie prince who had been chosen by The Coral Council and her parents. She couldn't bear the thought of a lifetime of misery at his hands.

So, with a ragged exhale, she unfurled her sea skin and slipped out of it, revealing her true form. Kanoa was a stunning sight, with shimmering scales, golden skin, and long, flowing hair. She felt the saltwater tears well up in her eyes, but refused to let them fall. She was determined to be strong.

As she slipped into the water, Kanoa felt a surge of fear and excitement. She had never been on land before, and everything would be new and strange to her. She could feel the ocean calling to her, beckoning for her to come home. But she knew that she couldn't go back. She had to find a new life, a new way of being—one that wasn't defined by the patriarchy.

She set off towards shore. Kanoa swam with all her might, her powerful strokes cutting through the water like a coral knife. She could feel the sea creatures watching her, sensing a change in the balance of power. She knew that they would come for her, but she refused to let them catch her.

As she emerged from the water, she looked up at the sky, watching as the first stars of the night began to twinkle. She breathed in the fresh, salty air and closed her eyes. "Oh, great Tethys," she prayed, "I turn to you in my time of need. I ask—I beg for your protection and guidance, that I may navigate these unfamiliar shores with grace and strength."

"I know this is not where I belong, but unfortunate circumstances have led me here. Please, watch over me, and give me courage and fortitude to face whatever lies ahead. Please," her throat bobbed. "Please."

But Kanoa's hopes were short-lived. As the water grew darker, a group of deep-sea creatures emerged from the depths, The Sea Serpents. Their armor gleamed in the soft light of the moon. It was a breathtaking sight, each piece intricately crafted and adorned with shimmering jewels. The armor seemed to radiate a sense of power and strength, as if it had been imbued with the very essence of the ocean.

The creatures wore breastplates of shimmering scales, each one as hard and durable as steel. Their gauntlets were adorned with razor-sharp claws, capable of slicing through the toughest of materials. And their helmetsed heads were crowned with swirling horns, a testament to their ferocity and might. But it was not just the armor that made them formidable. It was the way they wore it, with a sense of pride and purpose. They seemed to embody the very spirit of the ocean, a force to be reckoned with and respected.

As the creatures stood before her, their armor seemed to pulse with the power of the sea—a reminder of the power of his majesty. "Princess," General Maris said, his voice echoing across the water. "This is a warning. Come with us willingly, and you will be treated with kindness. But if you run, we will be forced to pursue you. And we will not be gentle."

Kanoa was not about to give into their threats. She had fled the ocean to escape the arranged marriage and didn't plan on going back. Without a second thought, she flipped them off before turning on her heels.

She raced up the beach, her bare feet pounding against the sand. She could hear the creatures gaining on her, their tentacles flailing and their jaws snapping. She knew that she couldn't outrun them forever and had to find a place to hide.

She caught sight of a face in the cliffs ahead. It was a strange and otherworldly sight, a carved visage staring out at her from the stone. Without hesitation, Kanoa darted towards the face and ignored The Sea Serpents behind her, their claws scrapping the earth as they pursued her.