1: The Kirkyard Canine

Greyfriars Kirkyard, in the heart of old Edinburgh, was the final resting place for many notable residents. Over the years it was also home to several important Edinburgh events - the signing of the National Covenant in 1638, portrait photography by David Octavius Hill and Robert Adamson in the 1840s, and even reported paranormal activities in the 1990s.

The story of the wee dog who visited the kirkyard every day is surely the most beloved, however.

A small, perky Skye terrier spent his time, every day, on the grave of one John Gray. He was well known to Edinburgh residents and tourists alike, so much so that in 1867 the Lord Provost of Edinburgh, Sir William Chambers, stepped in when a new law would have seen the dog executed for having no master. He paid for a licence for Bobby, and bought the dog a collar with an engraved brass tag. Local coffee shop owner Mr Traill and his family often gave the dog food, and were the closest he had to a family after John Gray died.

For some 14 years the dog was seen in the area, visiting the grave and getting food from the locals. He died in 1872, and was buried in unconsecrated ground in Greyfriars Kirkyard.

Since then the animal has gained celebrity status, and his story has charmed tourists and locals for over a century.