1: The Beginning

THE BODY WAS NEVER FOUND, even weeks after their father disappeared. 

Son Jin-Ho stood in front of the headstone. Everyone had already left, including his grandparents and younger sister Eun-Ha. Jin-Ho tugged his shirt and glared at the sky. It was too bright and too cheerful; as if the very Earth was mocking him.

Footprints crunched behind him. "Hey! You're Chin-Hae's kid, right?"

Jin-Ho stiffened and nodded.

"Well, sorry for interrupting," the leader drawled, "I'm not sure if you knew, but your father owned us money. 80 million. And we're here to collect it."

He did know. Clenching his fists, Jin-Ho swallowed his pride and knelt. "I'm sorry, but I can't pay you. Please wait for a while."

The leader scoffed, and before he knew what was happening, Jin-Ho hit the ground. The next few minutes was a blur as the thugs beat him up. Fading in and out of consciousness, Jin-Ho braced his head, hoping that they would leave soon. It was better to accept it, rather than fight back. Soon, they grew bored.

"Tsk, that was no fun. Let's go to his house and see if they have anything valuable."

His grandparents and Eun-Ha were there. Without thinking, Jin-Ho staggered up, grabbed the head of the thug nearest him, and brought it down to his knee with a sharp crack.

Blood flowed from the thug's broken nose. Wiping the blood away, he sneered. "You bastard."

Animal instincts overtook Jin-Ho as he fought back. However, eventually, he was overwhelmed by the thugs and their weapons, and was knocked out.

○△□ 

Jin-Ho opened his eyes groggily. The bruised sky was an artwork of purples; blues; pinks, it must be late already. He winced as he tried standing up, but his body was still sore and tender. He resorted to sitting in front of the grave until his strength returned. At least there wasn't a dead body below.

"Sir, do you need help?"

Jin-Ho looked up and glared at the stranger, a well-dressed businessman in a suit. "Mind your own business."

The businessman continued smiling, that uncanny smile. "Son Jin-Ho, 26, son of Son Chin-Hae, who recently died and left a debt of 80 million. Just graduated from Seoul University, and is currently looking for a job. Lives with his grandparents and younger sister, Son Eun-Ha. Should I continue?"

If he wasn't injured, Jin-Ho would have got up and ran away, but his body refused to move. The businessman leaned over and gave him a card. "We have a job opening. We'll provide training as well. The pay is high too, starting from 1 million. If you manage to move up the ranks, you'll get paid more. Hope you consider it."

The businessman stood upright, straightened his suit and walked away. Jin-Ho looked at the card warily, for it was too good to be true. Then he looked at his father's grave with contempt, for dragging him into his mess.