9

Hazel's point of view.

I feel all dizzy. Maybe drinking that much was a bad idea. I'm leaning on Neil, I feel every breath he takes. His heart beats steadily against my back. I'm staring at my half emptied glass of beer as it trembles when the players push against the table. The chatter is a complete blur in my ears. Even if I'm way too drunk, I feel alright. I feel safe with Neil.

"Let's play some games, come on," Aaron says at some point and people agree.

They start with truth or dare but we don't take part. Neil hates that game. I kind of do too now. I used to wish Vince was dared to reveal his feelings for me or something. How foolish. Then they decide to play 'Spin the Bottle' and Parker pretty much forces us to play.

"Haz, the ratio needs you," he tells me, pointing at the large amount of guys and the quite small group of cheerleaders.

"Wouldn't hurt you to kiss a guy. Would humble you," I say and the players all groan at the idea.

Parker pointedly ignores me to pick on Neil.

"And you, you need to get laid for once, man." Neil rolls his eyes.

"'Spin the Bottle' won't get me laid. Besides, I—"

"Let's play," Aaron announces anyway, clapping his hands.

The table is quickly cleared of bottles and glasses. Aaron starts spinning and people kiss, gradually. At one point, the bottle lands on Eve and one of the cheerleaders. Under the players' stares, they exchange a sloppy kiss. Vince isn't even bothered enough to look, scrolling on his phone.

"Isn't that cheating?" I whisper at Neil.

He shrugs, drinking some beer.

Then the bottle lands on me for the first time. And on Neil. I could bet that was on purpose. We look at each other with awkward smiles. I give him a gentle peck on the cheek and he affectionately kisses my forehead. The players boo at us but we don't care. The bottle lands on Parker and he grins. Until it lands on Aaron. Everybody bursts into laughter and cheers. Neil and I are laughing so hard we're crying. Hesitantly, they kiss over the table. Parker spits into an empty glass, cursing.

"Didn't want to kiss you either, fuckface," Aaron glowers.

The bottle spins and spins. A lot of kisses are exchanged. Neil and I just keep talking like the game isn't even on. Until the bottle lands on me. Right after landing on Vince that is. I frown, hoping I understood wrong. But no, Vince and I are really supposed to kiss now. Eve shoots me a heavy glare. I can't kiss him. It wouldn't be right. I look at Neil, panicking. Worry is readable on his face. Then I look at Parker who's already staring at me curiously. The players are already encouraging us loudly.

"Kiss him! Kiss him!" they chant forcefully.

Vince is sitting back against the wall seat, arms crossed. He looks nonchalantly and careless, but the eyes he has on me are all but that. His eyes tell me he's willing to kiss me. Worse, he's waiting for me to come get that kiss.

"I..." I mumble.

"Wouldn't hurt you," Aaron says, using my words against me.

Expect it totally would. I look back at Parker. He seems to understand my uneasiness.

"Well, at the end of the day, she gets to choose," he tries to spare me.

At the sounds of disapproval, Neil speaks too. "Yeah, it's just a dumb game anyway."

The players seems to start to consider giving up. Until Vince decides to go against me like the jerk he is.

"Exactly. It's just a game. Would be lame not to play it. It's not all that serious, Hazel." He gives me a proud, prideful smile and my stomach drops.