Chapter 10

Becca felt as if the very ground had just opened beneath her, plunging her into a state of shock that rocked her to her very core. Everything she'd wanted for the last six months was standing right in front of her, but she was terrified to move, to speak, to break the spell of this moment and risk it all being some mirage or a dream she would wake from. Could it really be this simple? They just walked through the gate, found Rick's place, and here he was? It didn't feel possible.

"Becca?" Eddie repeated, sounding just as disbelieving as she felt. He took a small, hesitant step forward. "I...what...how...I don't understand. Is it really you?"

She couldn't move. She opened her mouth, trying so hard to answer his question, but she just couldn't find the words. She had suddenly lost all ability to speak. Where were all those phonics skills she had learned in Kindergarten when she needed them? Becca closed her mouth, giving up on words, and simply nodded her head.

Eddie strode to her in a few quick steps, dropping down on his knees in front of her on the porch. His hands landed on her cheeks, his forehead pressing against hers. She sighed softly at the feel of his skin against hers. When his lips found hers, a whimper escaped against his lips and then the floodgates burst open, tears flowing down her cheeks.

One of Eddie's hands slid to the nape of her neck, the other against the small of her back, pulling her against him until every inch of her was pressed against him. She rose to her knees, her hands winding in his hair, her lips hungrily devouring his in an attempt to make up for all the kisses she had missed these last six months.

"Becca...Jesus Becca..." Eddie whispered, his lips pressing sweet kisses against her closed eyelids, her cheeks, her nose. They moved along her jaw and as they trailed along her neck, she sighed his name, tilting her head to give him full access to any part of her that he wanted to reach.

It was as if her soul had been split in two and now the other half had returned. It was as if all of the empty, gaping holes that had been left behind were now being filled with each touch of his lips against her skin. It was the breath returning to her body. It was a life preserver being thrown, finally saving her from drowning amid the torrential waves. She clung to him, this man who was saving her just with his presence. This man who was bringing back the part of her that had been missing.

Eddie pulled back slowly, his eyes searching hers, "What are you doing here?" Then, it was as if someone had dumped a bucket of ice water on him. He shook his head quickly, his eyes morphing from soft to angry. Becca reeled back slightly, her fears and doubts returning as he gripped her face tightly in his hands. "What the hell are you doing here, Becca? Why? Why would you come back to this place?"

"I came back for you!" she cried. Why didn't he know that? Had he really thought she would just abandon him here and forget about him? Did he think so little of her, of what he meant to her?

"You shouldn't have done that," he insisted, shaking his head. "Becca, you have to get the hell out of here. I don't know how you got in but you need to go back."

"I am not going anywhere without you," Becca stated. "Eddie, I am not leaving you in this hell. You are going to come home with me."

"Becca, I can't," he sighed, taking her hands in his. He ran his thumbs gently along her knuckles, his eyes on their hands as he ran his tongue along his lips nervously. "Baby, I want to. I want more than anything to be with you but those damn monsters aren't going to let me leave and you can't stay. I am not letting you trap yourself here."

"I know. I know you're their master or something but I have a plan. I..."

She stopped talking as she heard loud talking heading in their direction. Becca groaned, laughing softly and rolling her eyes when she realized who it was. Of course. He just couldn't wait like she'd instructed him to.