Chapter 1

I'm not sure whose twisted idea it was. To put hundreds of adolescents in underfunded schools. Run by people whose dreams were crushed years ago. But I admire the sadism. 

Swinging my bag over my shoulder, I shoved my hands in my pockets and stopped alongside Wednesday as she opened Pugsley's locker.  I sighed stepping to the side as the boy fell out, tied up with an apple shoved in his mouth. I bent, unsheathing my claws, and began cutting through the ropes.

"I want names." Wednesday said, yanking the apple out of Pugsley's mouth. "I don't know who they were. Honest." Pugsley whimpered as I finally finished sawing through the rope. "It happened so fast."  Wednesday's head turned sharply to me. "The jocks that were over there a second ago." I sighed, pointing over to a couple of lockers down the hallway. "Names." She growled. I blinked slowly at her, pushing my pure white hair out of my eyes. "Do I look like I know? Or care?" I growled back, my accent getting stronger. 

Our little staring contest was broken by Pugsley whimpering again. "Pugsley. Emotion equals weakness." Wednesday said sternly. "Pull yourself together. Now." Her last words causing Pugsley to silence himself. Wednesday grabbed Pugsley's hands, attempting to pull him up when her head suddenly snapped back. 

I blinked at her when her head snapped back down. "You okay?" Pugsley asked, looking worried. Wednesday ignored his question, grabbing my hand. "Leave this to us." She said pulling me behind her. I gripped her hand tighter, getting her to look at me as we rushed on. "You know we left Pugs on the floor right?" 

~_~

"Yo Dalten look! Pigsley's sister. And her imported pet." One of the jocks in the pool said. My fingers started twitching causing me to ball them into a fist to avoid leaping into the water and scratching his eyes out. "Hey, freaks!" Dalton called. "This is a closed practice." The other fools in the water began laughing causing my anger to be replaced with confusion. Was that supposed to be funny?

Turning to look at Wednesday, I held out my hands, taking the bags from her. "The only person who gets to torture my brother is me." Wednesday said as I stood by the edge of the pool. I gave them a lazy smile before dropping the bags into the water and walking back to my place by Wednesday, watching the boys frantically swim for dry ground. I closed my eyes and smiled, listening to a blood-curdling shriek resonate through the room. 

~_~

I put on my headphones, not playing anything, trying to block out the sickening display of affection in front of me. "Darling. How long do you intend on giving us the cold shoulder?" Tish asked Wednesday. "Cat-" Wednesday began before I cut her off.  "Uh uh. Do not bring me into this." I said quickly, turning back to my drawing. "Lurch." Wednesday turned to our driver. "Please remind my parents that I am no longer speaking to them." She said. Lurch grunted at her, not bothering himself. 

"I promise you my little viper." Gomez said, leaning forward. "You will love Nevermore. Won't she Tish?" "Of course, she will." Tish replied quickly. "It's the perfect school for her." "Why?" Wednesday spoke up. "Because it was the perfect school for you? I have no interest in following in your footsteps. Becoming captain of the fencing team-" 

"She didn't say she expected any of that from you Wedns." I sighed. "Besides. I'm the fencer. Not you. None of us expected you to captain the team anyway." Wednesday fell silent. "I merely meant that you would be among peers that understand you." Tish said. "Maybe you'll even make some friends." She and Gomez smiled creepily at Wednesday. I shivered, glad the smiles weren't directed at me. 

"Nevermore is like no other bonding school." Gomez said, turning to look at Tish. "It's a magical place. It's where I met your mother and we fell in love." The gaze between Gomez and Tish looked like it was about to cross the pg 13 mark, making me throw up my hands, knocking my iPad off my lap, to shove my hands in their faces. "STOP! No. You're making me nauseous." "Not in a good way." Wednesday added.