Chapter 1 - Takeoff

In a mountainous region, at the south of the world, next to the coast, there were several villages within a small town called Pedral. It was a quiet town, with no major industry, and few residents to speak of. In one of these villages, lives Sol. A teenage girl like any other, with big ears, messy orange fur, thin yellow eyes, and a constant laziness. Having just begun to consider college, she didn't seem to be in a hurry to plan her future. In fact, nobody seemed to be in a hurry in Pedral. Such was life...

All Sol felt at that moment was the comfort of the wind. She moved back and forth in her hammock, supported by pillars in front of her house. She seemed to be falling asleep, for a moment, but this peace would soon be interrupted.

-"Sol! Where are the things I asked you to buy?"

Her mother said, sounding slightly disappointed, in a high pitched voice.

-"Ah, sorry! I'll take- I mean, buy the things we need soon! But i don't have any list-"

Before she could complete the sentence, Sol was interrupted by her mother again.

-"I thought you had already written it all down! Let me remind you: meat sauce, bread, a kilo of flank steak..."

Sol's mother was the person most deserving of respect in the world to her. A heroine, who she hated to let down, but Sol always tried to make up for her mistakes with proactive actions, trying to make her mother proud. Sol, in her opinion, was trying her best, but she had her limits.

Astute as she was, she seemed to forget recent details quickly, absentmindedly imagining the feeling of flying in her daydreams. She even spent hours swinging in the hammock, subtly simulating this feeling, afraid of appearing childish. Sol had been a teenager for a long time now, and she didn't really like how she was still being treated like a child by close friends and relatives, but it was nothing that really brought her hatred for anyone.

Sol rarely got mad at other people, and, traveling in her dreams again, while thinking about what plane model she could draw later today, she had already forgotten about most of her mother's shopping list. That did irritate her, her own incapacity. At this point, she was already outside of her house, considering whether to go back and ask her mother again about the list. The possibility of a disappointed look made Sol give up on the idea, heading towards the market, at the end of the street, to the left of her house. While on the way, she tried to remember. "Bread...sauce...a kilo of what?"

The village Sol lived in was close to many similar ones, but seemed to preserve its own identity by preserving the interconnected triangular plots, which housed old buildings made of exposed brick, structures with rounded corners and, sometimes, small towers, cylinders that seemed to have an more of an aesthetic utility rather than a practical one. Sol loved the houses with towers on them, they reminded her of old castles, which she also appreciated. During her trip to the grocery store, she loved seeing the subtle details of the houses in her neighborhood, and how they changed. One house in particular was in the process of covering its bricks with a layer of concrete. Sol physically tilted her muzzle in disgust. She hated the look of concrete, and its texture. But this detail had distracted Sol from the most curious aspect of the house in question: There was an airplane in its yard. Covered in a tarp, yes, but the shape was definitely that of an airplane. When Sol noticed, she quickly approached the house, dodging carts, cars, animals and people walking along the cobbled road. Sol looked with a smile on her face at the completely covered plane. To her, it looked like a biplane, judging by the shape of the wings, but some of the details and shapes within the tarp covering the plane looked different. A rectangular bulge appeared on the sides of the plane, close to where the landing wheels would be.