one

"alright." mia, my best friend and roommate, said while opening up the curtains. my room was instantly filled with light for the first time in a week. "you can't live like this. you've got to get up."

"i can, my life is over." i groaned into my pillow, lifting my blanket over my head. "who even invited you in here? my door was locked."

"i invited myself and used the spare key." she chuckled. "come on." she pulled my comforter off of my bed and onto the floor, grabbing my arms and pulling me out of bed.

"mia stop! i just want to sleep." i tried to push myself away but it only resulted in me falling on the floor. i crawled over to the comforter and curled up in it once more, not having the energy to pick myself off the floor.

"julia, i'm serious."

"if i get up, will you stop?" i gave in.

"yes."

"fine." i scrambled to my feet and walked through my apartment and into the kitchen.

i've lived in my bed for the past week, only getting up for the occasional snack and a nightly shower.

"you need to stop thinking about him, he's not worth any of your emotions. his loss." she followed me.

"it's hard to stop thinking of someone that's been a part of my life for the past 11 months. we were just about to hit our one year." i looked down, wanting out of this conversation and to go back to my room. i would've carried out that plan but mia grabbed my hand.

"nope, you're not avoiding this conversation again. we need to talk about it. it might make you feel better."

"what's there to talk about? he broke up with me."

"as your best friend, i can't lie to you. your relationship with diego was too toxic. breaking up was a good thing in my book."

"we weren't toxic." i crossed my arms, sitting on one of the stools we had around our kitchen island.

"yes you were. you had no freedom, and he literally looked through your phone multiple times." she said. "not to mention, a new fight every day."

"that might have happened but our relationship was good. i wouldn't have stayed with him that long."

"you just don't want to admit it."

"i don't want to argue about this mia." i put my head down on the cold, marble counter.

"i'm sorry. i just don't like how he treated you. he's such a dick."

"i know. you've said that so many times."

"well, i have a surprise." she sounded excited.

"you know i don't like surprises." i lifted my head.

"you'll like this one, trust me." she smiled extremely wide.

"what is it?"

"i was thinking about how badly you needed to get your mind off diego so... i got us tickets to a barcelona game! front row!"

"you're the barca fan, not me!" i laughed. i was more into watching the premier league. i never watched la liga unless mia had it on.

"well i'm hoping that it'll clear your mind and convert you. double kill."

-

we had a whole girls night, dedicated to a post-break up glow up. i can't say it didn't work, because it did. after all of that, and getting ready for the game, i felt pretty for the first time since everything happened.