Chapter 9

"Wei-xiong, I can't believe you managed to upset Lan Wangji that much. Honestly, how did you get him to yell?" Huaisang said, fanning himself as he lay down on the rocky area of Cloud Recesses.

"I'm not surprised at all." Jiang Cheng scoffed, crossing his arms, sword in hand. "How is it you managed to upset him of all people? Does he even have emotions? He looks like he's carved from ice not jade."

'Oh, there's no doubt about that.' Wei Ying thought, sitting down next to Jiang Cheng. "Let me tell you-" Wei Ying started, but stopped when all three of them felt a strange presence nearby. Raising a finger he stopped any more talking. Everyone looked around suspiciously, because they could sense something, but couldn't see anything.

Slowly reaching into his sleeves, Wei Ying took out a talisman and threw it at a tree. A huge black bird with nasty looking feathers and lethal looking beak and talons appeared screeching as it flew away."Isn't that the dire owl of the Qishan Wen clan?" Huaisang said, closing his fan. His face looking unusually serious and thoughtful.

"Qishan Wen clan? How do you know that it's theirs? And why would it be here?" Wei WuXian asked watching the Dire owl fly off to the north.

" Our sect is at the foot of Qishan. We see this kind of owl very often." Huaisang whispered. "My brother says the Wens use the owls as spies. Any Dire Owl that smokes is controlled."

"That doesn't tell us why are they in Cloud Recesses? What would the Wens want in Cloud Recess?" Jiang Cheng inquired, looking at the dark shadow with intrigue.

 "I don't know. I think we should tell Sect Leader Lan Xichen about this."

Extremely sus looks were shared between them as they wondered about the implications and just what this meant, and together went searching for the Lan Sect Leader.

"Brother, recently something strange happened inside the wards of the back hills. " Wangji said walking alongside his brother though the main courtyard. "Though the wards haven't been broken yet, they've been disrupted."

"Did you find out who got into the back hills?" Xichen inquired.

" Wei Ying." He said in a low angry voice, which made Xichen have to stifle a laugh.

'Stupid Wei Ying. I spent THREE WEEKS on those robes, only for him to ruin them in three seconds! Now I have to wear these stupid backup robes! As if that wasn't enough he throws me off a wall! My butt still hurts!!'

" Brother, do we need to reinforce the wards?" He asked, trying to get his mind off Wei WuXian.

"Our ancestors set the wards. As long as she doesn't go inside, the ward won't break." He conspicuously replied.

"She?" He confusedly asked.

"Forget it." Xichen brushed off.

'Um, no, I don't think I will! What do you mean she? Are you hiding a secret girlfriend in the back hills or something?!'

"Wangji-"

"Clan Leader." A disciple approached the two and bowed. Lifting his head, Wangji recognized him as Su She, whom he never really liked. He gave off this really weird 'pick me' vibe which made Wangji on edge.