Introduction- Grandpa's Letter

I took a deep breath before entering Grandpa's bedroom. He requested me to visit him since he had "something important to give me." I had no clue what it could be, but it must be special if he specifically asked me to come alone. I opened the door and found Grandpa lying in his bed next to the crackling fireplace. He was clutching a white envelope with a purple seal.

"Ah! My sweet Ari, I knew you would make it!" he exclaimed weakly with a smile on his lips.

"Hi Grandpa!" I replied.

 I couldn't help but smile when he did. He knew that I was busy with my college classes and part-time job, so it was a treat for me to come see him. 

"I have something for you, my very special granddaughter" he said. "I want you to have this sealed envelope." He held out the envelope and I reluctantly took it. I started picking at the seal before Grandpa interrupted. 

"No, no, don't open it yet...have patience." 

I quickly stopped and shoved the envelope into the back of my jeans pocket. 

"Now listen closely..." Grandpa murmured. "There will come a day when you feel crushed by the burden of modern life...and your bright spirit will fade before growing emptiness. When that happens, my sweet Ari, you'll be ready for this gift." 

"I understand, Grandpa" I sighed. 

I leaned in to give Grandpa a kiss on his forehead. He returned the gesture by kissing my cheek and he smiled once again.

"Now, let Grandpa rest..."

I left Grandpa with a heavy heart. He looked a lot worse than the last time I saw him, and I knew that he didn't have a lot of time left. He helped out my family so much over the years, even during the darkest moments. 

When I stepped outside, it began to rain hard. Typical. I briskly got back into to my car and started the engine. While I sat there, I pondered over Grandpa's words. Before I got too deep in thought, I snapped out of it and slowly drove out of the cul-de-sac, back toward campus.