2.

I walked through the grand hall of the TIF Estate, and I was immediately enveloped in an atmosphere of sophistication and fortune. The air was jammed with the tempting scent of expensive perfumes, and the sound of animated conversations took charge of the background. Walls glorified with arras, marble floors beneath my feet gleamed, reflecting the sparkling lights above.

Pushing through the crowd, I was greeted by familiar faces, each one eager to extend their congratulations on my recent promotion. Marco, a fellow member of the Rossi Family, my cousin precisely—who took charge in Milan—enthusiastically clapped me on the back and exclaimed, "Congratulations, Romano! You've done us proud."

With a grateful smile, I indulged, shaking Marco's hand firmly. "Thanks, Marco. It's been a long time coming."

His wife, equally congratulating me, clung to him like a magnet to metal, serving as a subtle reminder to my own father that his only son should have been wed by thirty-two. I pushed aside the thought, knowing it would inevitably be discussed come morning, that I needed to focus on Senator Alfonso's daughter and secure a strong foundation and support for my position.

Marriage to Alfonso's daughter meant more than just tying the knot. It meant access to lucrative business ventures and contracts that the TIF exploited for money laundering and extortion, establishing a lifelong connection and partnership.

Secondly, there was the notion that an unwed leader was a vulnerable one—a notion I vehemently dismissed. I had my own ideas about relationships, especially with women who understood the importance of their connections. And from what I knew of Alfonso's daughter, she was no ordinary woman. She knew her worth and the value of her affiliations.

Continuing my journey through the hall, I caught sight of Angelo, another one of my cousins among the throng of TIF members, nodding and smiling as they offered their well wishes.

Angelo and I shared more than just blood; we bore a striking resemblance, both in looks and demeanor, owing to the fact that our fathers were nearly identical siblings. With over ten cousins, he and I had always stood out, only that now his half a decade seniority was already setting us apart.

He possessed a sharp tongue and a penchant for speaking his mind, and frequently took my deadpan delivery as insensitivity or callousness. It was trait I admired in him, as he wasn't exactly wrong.

His roots were firmly planted in Sicily, where he resided with his father—Santo—his mother, and two other brothers. Sadly, his younger sister, Vilma, had passed away over sixteen years ago. Before her tragic demise, Angelo and I had an equal number of siblings, mirroring the silent competition that seemed to exist between our fathers—I wouldn't put it past them, given their penchant for rivalry, despite their close bond.

An eyebrow raised in mock disbelief, Angelo intentionally snaked around me, his words dripping with sarcasm. "Capo? Porca puttana! Never thought I'd see the day."

"Believe it or not, Cugino Angelo. Miracles do happen," I retorted with a smirk, before excusing myself from his side.

My extended family from Palermo, Turin, Venice, and Naples were also sprawled around. Whether they were genuinely excited to be here or not, I couldn't quite discern. Our familial relationships were often strained, overshadowed by the complexities of our business affairs within the Family. It was difficult to gauge the sincerity behind the smiles plastered on their faces.

I attempted to slip away unnoticed, aiming to win the contest of stealth, but my hopes were dashed when I spotted the last person I wished to encounter in my haste: Bianca, my older sister.

She approached me, cradling one-year-old Mia in her arms, her gaze fixed on me with an expression that hinted at a conversation I couldn't avoid.

Bianca cast a quick glance over her shoulder before leaning in to speak above the music. "Capo, huh?" Her tone carried a hint of sarcasm, sparking a chuckle from me. "Seems like you've taken on some new airs and graces."