The Breeze Brings Relief

This always seems to happen, you don't really understand why but you can't help it. You were currently sitting, hugging your knees on the floor of your apartments hallway. You felt absolutely awful, your heart heavy. It felt like the weight of the world was put on you. Quick breathing, tears starting to form, you were scared. Your phone was discarded on floor next to you, everything was too much right now.

Through your rushing thoughts and shallow breaths, you weren't aware enough to notice the person approaching you. A tap on your shoulder made you flinch and jump up, looking at the person who had done it. The warm eyes of your next door neighbor, Kiriko, greeted you, full of concern.

"Oh my goodness, hey are you okay?", She crouched down to where you were sitting, wiping the tears off of your cheeks with her thumbs. When did you start crying?

You tried speaking but the waver in your voice prevented anything but a small "I-" from coming out. You decided to just shake your head instead.

Kiriko sits on the floor next to you, putting a hand on your shoulder and rubbing it in comforting circles, "Hey it's okay you're alright! Take your time [__], I'm here." She moves to embrace you, letting you cling to her shirt and cry harder. You two stay like that for what felt like an eternity, but not long enough at the same time. When Kiriko notices you calming down, she pulls back slightly from the embrace and gives you the softest look you've been given in awhile.

"Are you okay?" she asks once more, and that question alone was enough to make you sob again, but you held back this time.

"I- I'm okay." You managed, your breath shaky, looking up into her eyes as best you could.

Kiriko's gaze softens even more, and she materializes a yellow glowing ofuda into her hands, "I know these only help with physical wounds but, I've heard they feel pretty nice! Want one?" she offered. You nodded once more, not trusting yourself to speak just yet. 

She places the ofuda into your palms and moves your hands to press against your chest. The warmth seeps in, it feels just like sunlight.

She moved her hand up and gave one last stroke to your face before perking up a bit, an idea forming in her head. "Hey," she spoke softly, "Would you want to go out and get an ice cream with me? It's pretty nice out today!"

You look up at her like there's some catch, but give in, you need to get out of this hallway and walk around. After you nod, Kiriko takes your hand in her own and leads you out of the building. When you step out of the front entrance, you are met with the warm summer air, outside had never smelled so refreshing. You walk silently, holding Kiriko's hand for some time, heading to a destination you weren't too familiar with. After about ten minutes, the sidewalk comes to an end at the drop-off of a small hill. At the bottom was a field of grass with some flowers, a building standing in the back, and a few people in the front happily eating ice cream, enjoying the weather.

You were too enraptured by the scenery to notice Kiriko had started walking forward down the hill. Noticing the lack of movement from you, she turns around and offers you her hand again. Smiling down at her, you take her hand appreciatively, and you both make your way down to the small shop.

Walking in the shop was chilly, it was an ice cream shop after all. The smell of sweets and toppings hit your nose pleasantly as you viewed the options. After a minute, Kiriko sidles up to you and asks what you want. When you tell her, she walks up to the counter to order both of your ice creams. You have never been so thankful for someone in your life, how nice can she be to order for you too?

You two waited patiently in the shop for your ice cream to be prepared, and once it was ready you went up and each got your own. Kiriko had ordered a plain vanilla on a cone with rainbow sprinkles. You had thought her to get something more chaotic like sherbet but maybe you had misjudged her. The sprinkles were definitely on-brand though and you giggle at her excitement.

After paying and exiting the shop, the warmth comes back and makes you grateful you now have something cold to eat. Looking around, Kiriko took your hand for the millionth time today and led you over to a koi pond. You both sat on the stone wall surrounding it, watching the calico fish swim around carelessly. 

You felt nice, and you looked over at the expanse of the field in front of you. The greenery blew with the breeze, the trees in the distance swaying like they were in a gentle waltz. A beautiful light blue fox ran after a butterfly, seemingly made out of pure light itself. Everything felt warm and welcoming. You gazed over at your company who had almost finished her ice cream, and you study her. She's kicking her feet slightly, arm supporting her weight as she leans back on it. When her eyes meet yours, you freeze, and she smiles brightly at you. You cant help but think her smile feels like sunlight too. The wind blows her hair and the sun makes it shine a beautiful shade of green. The fox ear headband on her forehead shines in the sun too, and you internally giggle at how silly you think she is. You wonder what the story behind it is, and what scars she may have too. You'd like to know.

Snapping you out of your trance, you feel a hand rest above your knee and gently shake it.

"Do you want to go or stay here for a bit?" You look down and realize you've both finished your ice cream. You really didn't want to leave this peace though, not yet.

"Can we stay here, just for a few more minutes?" You ask timidly, looking at the ground.

"Of course!" She softly smiles at you, everything about her just makes you feel so safe.

You take a chance and gently rest your head on her shoulder. She tenses up for a split second, not expecting it, but relaxes and wraps her arm around your side, holding you closer. The sun was going down, and it made everything feel so ethereal. You would stay like this forever if you could, and even if this moment has to end eventually, you're glad it happened.

The walk home was calming. The sun going down made it more chilly, but you didn't mind. Kiriko swung your hands back and forth exaggeratedly, pep in her step. You laughed at her antics when she spun you around, and she laughed too, bumping into you and making you guys almost fall. You arrived at your apartment all too soon as your time with Kiriko dwindled. You didn't want to leave her side yet, you were having so much fun.

Kiriko walked you to your apartment door and you stopped before opening it. You quickly spun around and took her hand in both of yours, looking into her eyes.

"Thank you for today, Kiriko. I mean it, I had a really nice time," you spoke sincerely. Looking down at her hand you ask, "Is it okay if we maybe hang out another time? It's completely okay if you don't want to don't worry but I want to get to know you more."

After a second of silence you look back up and see the slightest hint of a blush over her face, she looks ecstatic, "Oh my god yes! I'd really love to if that's okay with you! I also enjoyed today, I was hoping to get to hang out again," She spoke very fast and scratched the back of her neck, like she'd been expecting you to go back to your room and never hang out again. Well in that case,

"Great! Do you think maybe I can take you to lunch sometime? Only if you want but I really want to repay you for today." You laugh nervously, speaking just as fast as her from the nerves that built up.

"I'd love that!" Kiriko instantly blurted out loudly, "I uh I'd really like that actually, is tomorrow okay??" she says lowering her voice and giggling nervously, looking to the side.

"Yeah, I'm free tomorrow! Is noon okay?" You smiled widely at her having accepted the offer.

"Yup, noon is good!"

"Cool!"

...

You both just stared at each other nervously for a second, faces bright red, not sure what to do next.

"Well I'll go inside now, thank you again Kiriko, I look forward to tomorrow!" You broke the silence, opening your door and smiling warmly at her.

"Yes, of course! I'll be there!" She gives you the finger guns and instantly regrets it, groaning in her head.

You giggle at her and step into your home, "Well goodbye! I'll see you tomorrow!"

"Byeeee!" she waves, elongating the end of the word for effect.

She was the only thing you thought about for the rest of the night.