Reminiscences and a change of heart

Leek Cookie was raised in a complicated situation. The Leek Clan had been on the decline for the past decade or so, tournaments lost after tournaments, and their name was cast into the shadows.

Their only heir was the one and only Leek Cookie. Taught swordsmanship from a young age, all the pressure of winning back the clan's honor was placed onto the back of the youngest cookie in the clan.

This pressure, no matter how much they pushed Leek Cookie to his limit, days after nights of training, was futile from the start. From being one of the respected clans in Earthbread to becoming obscure, their servants dwindling and so were their hope to get their position back.

The war didn't help with Leek Cookie's situation either. Famine was scarce, their numbers diminishing by the minute, Leek Cookie had no choice but to escape into the dimness of the bamboo forest, his last words from his father were to run. Run as far away as he could and don't look back.

Pricked at his young eyes, his surroundings became murky in smoke. His vision was fuzzy, his legs started to ache from the distance.

How far has he run? How far is he from home? He doesn't know. Leek Cookie's heart jolted as he fell with a thump, his hands trembled as he reached for his knee, feeling the wood of the stray arrow piercing through his flesh.

The tears poured. What has he done to deserve this?

He turned around, laying on his back as he breathed shaky breaths into the smoke-filled forest. His eyes landed on the sky, the scarlet dawn looked back at him, the sky indistinguishable from the fires crackling around him, drawing closer and closer.

The rushed clopping of a horse draws near, though Leek Cookie had no more energy to notice. He closed his eyes as he drew his last breath, cold and alone in the bamboo forest he once was so fond of.

Leek Cookie's eyes shot open. His breath trembling as he rose from the warm mattress beneath him. He looked around rapidly at his surroundings, the scenery of his bamboo cabin registering in his mind, his fist still clenching hard at the blanket.

His breath calmed. He sighs.

"Another nightmare, huh?"

These nightmares weren't unfamiliar to him, the scenes unfolding the fall of his clan, the death of his family, and when he met...

He snapped out of his thoughts, clenching his teeth as he got out of bed in a rush.

There's no use in thinking of him this early in the day.

______________________

Leek Cookie was only on a stroll into town when he heard it.

"Hey, have you heard General Jujube is now accepting apprentices?"

"Why so?"

"Do you remember the tournament? Apparently, two cookies named Peach Cookie and Plum Cookie who participated are now studying under him!"

"Ah, those fierce two? What a shock. I'd never have thought the general would accept heirs at his age."

The two female cookies talked on, giggling and joking about putting their sons for a try.

Leek Cookie, however, was more intrigued at the mention of the general's name. Indeed, they haven't seen each other since that tournament.

The interest dissipated as quickly as it came to his ears, he refuse to have anything to do with General Jujube for now. He's not ready just yet.

A thought ran through his mind, betraying his emotions.

"Although, becoming the general's apprentice is one way to get closer to him."

It was a fleeting thought, a mere careless rambling. It shouldn't have bothered him so much.

But, he would be lying if it wasn't tempting.

Ever since they met blades at the tournament, Leek Cookie successfully obtaining the victory of cutting off the general's prized beard, no matter how petty it was, was a victory of its own. But the moment he left the temple, an odd feeling swelled within him.

He felt uneasy, like he wasn't going to see General Jujube ever again, despite knowing full well that wouldn't be their last meeting. His heart thumped in an unfamiliar rhythm, his gaze betrayed him as he looked back upon the temple from the stairway, a melancholic thought dwelled on his mind from then on.

"We will meet again..."

"...right?"

Leek Cookie pushed the rim of his straw hat down further, the sun shining through the cracks. The sky's blue stretched for miles on end, his eyes landed on the temple that resides the general whom he bears an endless hatred.

He sighed, grumbling to himself.

"Perhaps a visit wouldn't hurt"