Chapter Eleven

Basically, Jude and Steve are Blind.
Oh, and They Also Fight a Monster.

     DUSTIN, STEVE, AND Jude emerged into a clearing that sprawled out into the expanse of the Hawkins junkyard

DUSTIN, STEVE, AND Jude emerged into a clearing that sprawled out into the expanse of the Hawkins junkyard. Jude had been there before, but only once.

     Freshman year, a guy asked her to hang out. It was in between Steve's indiscretion and Jude realizing that love sort of sucked and never worked out. He was a sophomore and was really into skateboarding and comic books. Jude wasn't really into either of those things, but as a freshman, the idea of a sophomore who was older and certainly more emotionally mature enticed her. So, she decided to go to the junkyard with him. He and his friends had fashioned some kind of skatepark out of beams and the rusted cars. He liked to get high and was a bad kisser. Anyway, Jude never hung out with him again, so that's how that went.

     Now, there were some new things in the yard. More cars, a school bus. The grass had faded to a dirty brown. And, well, soon it'd become the setting of a monster fight. Monster fight. Even the words felt weird to Jude. This whole thing was so intensely bizarre. Besides, maybe spilling her guts about her mom had been a bad idea to do before this. She was feeling slightly... unnerved. Physically, she was overwhelmed. Emotionally overwhelming herself too had probably been a bad idea.

     "Oh, yeah," Steve said, taking his sunglasses off as he surveyed the yard. "Yeah, this'll do. This'll do just fine." He gestured back to Dustin as he walked toward the center of the area, "Good call, dude."

     Dustin grinned. Yeah, if Jude backed out now on account of "feeling weird" and maybe a little bit scared, Dustin would kill her. Cold blood.

     And Cal was waiting for her on the other side of the forest even if he didn't know. Cal went through something terrible last year while Jude was complaining about not qualifying for state. Now, she knew; now, she could help.

     Steve dropped a few more pieces of meat finishing the trail from the forest to the center of the junkyard. Then, Dustin and Steve tipped their buckets upside down to create a pile out of what was left. Jude grabbed the buckets and gloves and chucked them into a nearby car, slamming the door shut to hopefully contain the smell.

     "I said medium well!" Lucas's voice shouted from across the junkyard. The new sound startled Jude, so she jumped away from the car like she had been caught red-handed. And, there he was, waving at Steve and Dustin with a girl by his side. His smile faltered when he saw Jude there, but there was something scratching at Jude's mind as she looked at the girl. Jude felt like she should know her, like she recognized her from somewhere, but the details were running away from her quickly. She was chasing smoke. "Jude?"

     Jude rolled her eyes, "Hello to you, too, Lucas."

     While Will was probably Cal's favorite of his friends, Lucas was definitely the most like him. Therefore, he was most likely to annoy Jude.